How to synchronize the host to activate the windows system on virtualbox?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
chenghaoliu

How to synchronize the host to activate the windows system on virtualbox?

Post by chenghaoliu »

My computer is an oem Windows 10 system that has been activated by factory settings. Now I want to reinstall a Windows 10 system that is exactly the same on virtuarbox but it cannot be activated automatically. Is there any solution?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: How to synchronize the host to activate the windows system on virtualbox?

Post by scottgus1 »

chenghaoliu wrote:reinstall a Windows 10 system that is exactly the same on virtuarbox
Does this mean you are restoring a backup of the host into the VM?

A VM is a different computer for licensing purposes. OEM versions might not be transferrable to a new computer. Virtualbox does not have 'pass the activation' methods. You'll need to ask Microsoft about activation for the VM. Be prepared to have to buy a new license or not be allowed to activate OEM on a different computer.
chenghaoliu

Post by chenghaoliu »

Yes, but my hardware changes in virtualbox caused my system activation to change
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

chenghaoliu wrote:Yes, but my hardware changes in virtualbox caused my system activation to change
If you use the same product key to activate a second PC - and this is usually only allowed around 120 days after the previous activation - then Microsoft will deactivate the previous PC that used that key, assuming it has an Internet connection.

This is normal Windows behaviour. The fact that one or both of the PCs is a VM has no bearing. VirtualBox has no influence on how Windows licensing works, that is all done at an activation server.

You need to get a second Windows license to use in VMs, that is what we all do. I think you would need to contact Microsoft if you want to cancel activation of the VM and restore activation of the host PC with it's original product key. Or you may be able to apply a new product key there.
chenghaoliu

Post by chenghaoliu »

I use the factory OEM activation and it is not the key, which causes the system in my virtualbox to not be activated
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Correct. The activation of the physical PC is linked to the physical hardware of that PC.

If you move that OS the a virtual machine, there is no way that you can make the emulated "hardware" of the vm exactly match the physical hardware of the PC.
Bill
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

@chenghaoliu, you ned to ask these questions from Microsoft, not from Virtualbox.

Virtualbox only provides 'hardware' for an operating system to run on. Questions about activating the operating system should be asked to the makers of the operating system, not the 'hardware' maker.

Please ask Microsoft how to activate your VM's OS.