Windows 11 Support Not Working

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
foobunny

Windows 11 Support Not Working

Post by foobunny »

The new release of Virtualbox 6.1.28 states that it added support for Windows 11, but I still can't get Windows 11 to install in a guest VM. The setup reports "your pc does not meet the minimum requirements." I verified the following:
-Host system meets hardware requirements for Windows 11 (confirmed via Microsoft Windows 11 Upgrade Assistant)
-Virtualbox 6.1.28 is installed, 6.1.28 Guest Extensions are installed
-Windows 11 OS type selected in the New VM wizard
-VM settings look right for Windows 11, e.g. 4GB RAM, 2 CPU cores, 100GB disk space, etc.

Any ideas why the guest doesn't meet the requirements? I've attached the log for the guest VM.
Attachments
WIN11ENT-2021-10-19-15-45-26.zip
(30.5 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
danchoTesting

Re: Windows 11 Support Not Working

Post by danchoTesting »

Same here. Was excited about it. But this will be a good place to have an update.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Try what is shown here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=103946&start=45#p507114
The gray TPM window. I haven't tried this myself, but it appears to be a new settings window in the EFI BIOS boot. Might be wrong...
danchoTesting

Post by danchoTesting »

And just confirming the test here was with 8 GB ram, 4 cpus, 85 GB drive, and host supported and tested with Microsoft Tool.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

foobunny wrote:"The setup reports "your pc does not meet the minimum requirements."
It's my understanding that the updated tool now tells you exactly what doesn't match about your system. So what did it say?

And while your post seems to make it clear that you are creating a new VM, others should note that changing the OS version on an existing VM does not make the necessary changes to template defaults (this according to the devs from a few days ago). You have to create a new VM or use the new VBoxManage commands to modify the hidden settings.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

scottgus1 wrote:Try what is shown here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=103946&start=45#p507114
The gray TPM window. I haven't tried this myself, but it appears to be a new settings window in the EFI BIOS boot. Might be wrong...
Attention: You have to distinguish between VirtualBox 6.1.28 (incl. the previous VirtualBox 6.1.27 test builds) and the VirtualBox 6.1.97 development builds (eventually leading to VirtualBox 7.0 in the future).

VirtualBox 6.1.28 provides Windows 11 as a guest OS version, and an unattended installation that should automatically set the necessary registry keys. It provides neither a virtual TPM nor Secure Boot, so one of the known methods have to be used to circumvent the Windows 11 requirements.

VirtualBox 7.0 will provide a virtual TPM and Secure Boot, so that the Windows 11 requirements can be met.
Yetiski

Post by Yetiski »

Thank you for the clarification - it seems that we will have to wait VBox 7.0 to have a smooth installation :( .
Any idea when it could come out ?

I was interested in trying 6.1.97, but what are the risks ... I do not want to crash my host machine.
Is the risk high or very low ?

If I understand properly, 6.1.97 is providing virtual TPM and Secure boot ?
Does it mean that it could work on an old machine not having TPM 2.0 ?

Thx for your help understanding the big picture.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Now that the question has been thoroughly answered I'm going to lock this topic. Otherwise I know from past experience that we would now get a flood of "me too" posts from people who only read the first post.

Plus I'm going to reference this topic from the "Discuss the 6.1.28 release" topic.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks, fth0, for the understanding on which version will support TPM!
Yetiski wrote:trying 6.1.97, but what are the risks
The risks in trying a .97 test build are two (that I know of):

1. It's a .97 test build: The devs hope it will work but it may have bugs. A tested restorable backup is a good idea.

2. If you're running a Windows host, the host's MSI installation database may go south (and they do), at which point you'll need the .97 installer to up/down-grade Virtualbox. But both the .97 bleeding-edge and the odd-number regular test-build installers get deleted off the website when a new test build is released (unlike the even-number regular releases, which are preserved). So you need to keep that installer backed up too, so you can uninstall and go to another release if MSI does you wrong.

I'd try a test build any day with these two points in mind.