Does the newest VB GuestAdditions support DirectX 10 or higher????

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
DevMBeyer

Does the newest VB GuestAdditions support DirectX 10 or higher????

Post by DevMBeyer »

Hello to all,

I'm working with game scripts just as my hobby beside my work as a developer.
The game, named Arma 3 1.96, I work with need Windows 7+, and DirectX 10+, OpenGL or higher.
The OS of my Machine is Linux Mint 22.20. At this time I used Windows 7.
So I installed VB on Linux Mint, installed Windows 10, installed the GuestAdditions, installed the Game and DirectX 10 which I want to go on coding. Everything was successful and fine until I start the game. It says on every time that the Game needs Direct 10 anyway.

I like to mention that the game worked in another VM in the past, that has uncomfortable VM configurations for the game.
I like also to mention that after installed and GuestAdditions and restart the OS the interaction with the desktop was horrible. I asked for help and get help a lot :D thanks for that. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104131&p=507130#p507130.

So my question at last: Does the newest GuestAdditions support all these graphical stuff? If it does, than I have to really think about my VM configuration :( .

Thanks,
MB
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Does the newest VB GuestAdditions support DirectX 10 or higher????

Post by mpack »

That info is in the user manual, so please read it - there's a PDF in the program folder, or press F1 in the manager. Read section 4.5 in particular.
DevMBeyer

Post by DevMBeyer »

Hello mpack,

I searched in the internet in oracle sites and PDFs, trouble shooting pages and so on and I only got is, that GuestAddition supports Direct3D 8/9 (a part of MS DirectX) with Windows 2000 or higher. I switched on everything that VB Manual can ask me for like Hardware Virtualization and 3D Acceleration to get things done. All these articles does not mention DirectX 10 or higher support or comparables :( .

Do I missunderstand something?

P.S.: I didn't know that VB brings an Manual with it, so thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

DevMBeyer wrote:I only got is, that GuestAddition supports Direct3D 8/9 (a part of MS DirectX) with Windows 2000 or higher
Which I would suggest provides a clear answer to your question?

This is a user community, and the user manual is the basic authority as to what (should) works or doesn't. The user manual does not claim support for Direct3D 10/11, therefore no such support currently exists. None of us know what might be planned for the future: I can only speculate that when paying (business) customers have a need for Direct3D 10/11 then it will be implemented.
jorgensen
Guest OSses: Windows, LinuxMint

Post by jorgensen »

Actually Oracle searched for 3D developers a couple of month ago, so maybe there is something in the pipeline :roll:

Also actually, the 3D setting is very buggy with VB 6.1 and the new Intel 11th gen GPU, where some of the guest crashes.

I now have a very fast CPU where 3D doesn't make a difference and the OpenGL software solution works pretty well, when this is the only option to run a technical graphic program.
DevMBeyer

Post by DevMBeyer »

Hello mpack,
mpack wrote:
DevMBeyer wrote:I only got is, that GuestAddition supports Direct3D 8/9 (a part of MS DirectX) with Windows 2000 or higher
Which I would suggest provides a clear answer to your question?
I read that before I ask this community. As I said: I often miss something important and also I'm very new. That's why I'm ask.
With the introduction of DirectX 8/9 in the VB to today, I hoped that something would have changed in the development in this area. Do you know what I mean?

This game run successfully on a VM in VB with lower settings and this game need DirectX 10 or higher. I don't know how, but it had worked but with 1fps.

MB
DevMBeyer

Post by DevMBeyer »

Hi jorgensen,
jorgensen wrote:Actually Oracle searched for 3D developers a couple of month ago, so maybe there is something in the pipeline :roll:
oh really :D ?! Thank you for this info

MB
jorgensen
Guest OSses: Windows, LinuxMint

Post by jorgensen »

For Windows 10, VirtualBox 6.1 fully support DirectX without the 3D acceleration selected, but not OpenGL which can be handled by software emulation.
The 3D acceleration selection is useless for Windows 10, because it only support DirectX 9 and an outdated version of OpenGL, that all only are compatible to XP.
Not sure about Windows 7 and other guests.
DirectX.png
DirectX.png (33.87 KiB) Viewed 12628 times
DevMBeyer

Post by DevMBeyer »

Thank you very much :) jorgensen!

I started to learn Linux Wine for the Windows System and Vucano for the simulation of DirectX because I resigned sadly the VM trouble :( .

Anyway thank you for your great help :D ! I remember that :wink:

Best regards,
MB