Display Error occures on (Guest) Windows 10 after installed VBoxGuestAddition 6.1.12 on Linux mint

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
DevMBeyer

Display Error occures on (Guest) Windows 10 after installed VBoxGuestAddition 6.1.12 on Linux mint

Post by DevMBeyer »

Hello to all,

My system has GeForce GT 634M and i7-3630qm cpu 2.40GHz 2.40GHz. I'm working on Linux Mint 22.20 x64 OS. Not new.

I want to have a high graphical system performance on my VM with this System, so I decided to change some setting beside the default:

My vdi-file Settings are shown below:

Motherboard
  • Base Memory: 4096MB (of 8196MB)
  • Chipset: PIIX3
  • Extended Features: enable I/O APIC
Processor
  • Processor(s): 4 (of 4)
  • Execution Cap: 100%
  • Extended Features: disable PAE/NX
Acceleration
  • Paravirtualization Interface: Hyper-V
  • Hardware virtualization: enable nested paging
Display
  • Video Memory: 256MB (of 256MB)
  • Graphics Controller: VBoxSVGA
  • Acceleration: enable 3D Acceleration
I installed the OS Windows 10 Pro x64 on this VM. everything works fine. After the installation I delete not useful content on the OS like games.
I had to add external storage which includes files I really needed, with the help of share files.
So I installed VBoxGuestAdditions 6.1.26 to the VM and install it to access this share files. After the restart on my Windows 10 Desktop there is a kind of a "graphical error" but share files works as expected.
  • The Color of the Taskbar and their tabs on Windows Desktop are not shown.
  • System windows are displayed "wrong" and they are not really react in the GUI.
  • But Windows-Explorer and the Desktop itself are normal for my first impression.
[*]Programs that this high graphic Perfomance expected cases an Error. This program worked before on another VM with default settings with the same installation.
[/list]

My guess is, that I granted to much from my host system Linux Mint to guest Windows 10.

I am really new in this VMs on VirtualBox and need help to solve that problem.

Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Display Error occures on (Guest) Windows 10 after installed VBoxGuestAddition 6.1.12 on Linux mi

Post by scottgus1 »

Disable Settings > Personalization > Colors > Transparency Effects in your Windows 10 guest.

If it's not activated, see Ease of Access > Display > Simplify and personalize Windows > Show transparency in Windows
DevMBeyer wrote:Extended Features: disable PAE/NX
This should stay the way Virtualbox set it when the VM was first made.
DevMBeyer wrote:Processor(s): 4 (of 4)
More processors will slow down a VM, due to scheduling oversight on the host. Try 2 processors until you have installed multi-core-capable 3rd-party software in the VM.
DevMBeyer

Re: Display Error occures on (Guest) Windows 10 after installed VBoxGuestAddition 6.1.12 on Linux mi

Post by DevMBeyer »

Hi scottgus1,

thank you so very much, for you great help!!! :D

does installed OS care about the changes of processor count and switch PAE/NX???

I have a unlicensed windows, so I can't personalize until I buy a very expensive license.

another question about Paravirtualization:
I set Paravirtualization Interface to Hyper-V as I wrote. Should it better be default as the VM sets it or Legacy? what is the difference of these three. I understand hyper-V for windows but I don't know the other options that aren't explained.

scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

DevMBeyer wrote:does installed OS care about the changes of processor count
Modern OS's like 10 don't mind changing processor count, though 10 likes 2 as a minimum.
DevMBeyer wrote:does installed OS care about ... switch PAE/NX?
Maybe. If it's working now, best to not change it.
DevMBeyer wrote:I have a unlicensed windows, so I can't personalize
This method:
scottgus1 wrote:Ease of Access > Display > Simplify and personalize Windows > Show transparency in Windows
is reported to still be available to unlicensed 10.
DevMBeyer wrote:I set Paravirtualization Interface to Hyper-V
This is the way it should be. 'Default' for a Windows VM is Hyper-V, too. I don't know what 'Legacy' does. 'Paravirtualization Interface' is a comm channel for virtualization-aware OS's to talk to whatever hypervisor is running them, so they can run more efficiently. Setting this to Hyper-V does not turn on the host OS's Hyper-V.
DevMBeyer

Post by DevMBeyer »

Again thank you very much.

I really sorry that I can't show you the screenshot of the problem Desktop because I'm to new, they say. Tomorrow it should work.

And does the virtual graphic processor an memory not care about the reduce the processor count of 2? And the graphical memory can be maximized?

Tanks again

Best Regards,
MB
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

DevMBeyer wrote:I can't show you the screenshot of the problem
Logs and pictures that can be posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab on the first day first post.
If you can't find the Transparency Effects off switch, it could be that MS has changed the arrangement - again. See https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/555 ... -10-a.html
DevMBeyer wrote:does the virtual graphic processor an memory not care about the reduce the processor count of 2?
Not that I am aware of.
DevMBeyer wrote:And the graphical memory can be maximized?
Yes, slide that slider all the way up.
DevMBeyer

Post by DevMBeyer »

Ok, the kind of display error hat disappere after I made an entry in the registry on CLI. I couldn't switch the display settings in GUI because all the windows setting are locked by windows itself, I guess. Anyway thank you for your advice :D !!!

Another problem occurs with DirectX 10. I'm very sure it has something to with my VM Video adapter.