HELP! My Windows guest has no network adapters!

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ohaya@yahoo.com

HELP! My Windows guest has no network adapters!

Post by ohaya@yahoo.com »

Hi,

I have some older VBox guests that I needed to use a couple of days ago for some testing, so I installed VBox 6.1.26.

I have the host-only networking setup on 192.168.0, because these old guests all had 192.168.0 IP addresses.

Then, I copied the guest files over to the computer, and I added the guests into the VBox, by clicking on the .vbox file.

Everything seemed to be working ok until this morning and one of the guests, a Windows 2003 that has an Oracle DB on it, crashed.

When I started the guest up after that, I noticed I couldn't connect to it, then looking around at that guest, when I did "ipconfig" or "ipconfig /all" it showed nothing!!

In device manager on the guest, it is showing a yellow exclamation mark.

So I figured maybe the whole guest files got corrupted, so I removed the guest from VBox, and copied the files for that guest back to the computer.

Then I added the guest back into Vbox, but after I started it, it is STILL not showing any network, and Device Manager is still showing the yellow exclamation mark.

I have checked the MAC in the .vbox file against what is showing in Vbox console and they match.

Can anyone tell me how I can get the networking on that guest working again???

Thanks!

Jim

Thanks,
Jim
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: HELP! My Windows guest has no network adapters!

Post by scottgus1 »

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file.)

Also, please provide the command line output of 'ipconfig /all' on Windows host or 'ip address' on Linux/Mac host.

Finally, please provide the command line output of 'vboxmanage list hostonlyifs' on the host. (A Windows host command prompt has to be in the Virtualbox install folder to have 'vboxmanage' work.)