Windows 10 VM crashing when connecting to HostOS via TeamViewer

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
filemakernewbie

Windows 10 VM crashing when connecting to HostOS via TeamViewer

Post by filemakernewbie »

Howdy everyone

I have posted this question on reddit (r/virtualbox and r/teamviewer) and didn't get a definitive answer, so I thought I'd ask on this forum.

(VirtualBox Ver. 6.1.26 r145957 / Host: MacOS Catalina Ver. 10.15.6 Beta (19G36e) / Guest: Windows 10 Pro Ver. 10.0.19041 Build 19041 / TeamViewer Ver. 15.12.4 / Host and guest additions / extensions are installed)

So, as the title suggests: our Windows 10 VM (on MacOS Catalina as a host), keeps crashing when the window is in focus and you connect to the Mac via TeamViewer.
We have tried changing some settings on the VM but nothing seemed to really help. We suspect that it's a problem with the Mac but we're not certain.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? How do we go about fixing this?

Thanks in advance
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 10 VM crashing when connecting to HostOS via TeamViewer

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
filemakernewbie

Hey Scottgus1

Thank you for your reply. I have added the .log File in this reply. I hope this helps you in some way.

Best regards
Attachments
Windows 10-2021-09-22-14-43-05.log.zip
.log file
(20.97 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Yep, critter just keels over without any warning...

Try reducing VM processors to 2 unless there's 3rd-party multi-threaded software in the VM, like video transcoding or some such. More processors in the VM will slow down the VM unless there's enough data to fill the extra processors.

Also try enabling 3D acceleration, then disable 10's Settings > Personalization > Colors > Transparency Effects.

If the VM still crashes Teamviewering into the host, does it crash when TeamViewering onto another computer beside the host?
filemakernewbie

Hi Scottgus1

Sorry for the late reply, I was not at work for the rest of the week :)

I just tried both of the things you recommended, sadly to no avail.

I'm not sure if my explanation is not quite clear or if I'm misunderstanding you in the last sentence (English is not my first language :P )
The VM only crashes when someone connects to the host (Mac) via TeamViewer.
Say, User 1 connects to the Mac, starts the VM and lets a customer onto the VM via TeamViewer. That works perfectly fine...
...but as soon as User 2 connects to the host (Mac) and the VM is in focus or for some reason User 1 has to reconnect to the host via TeamViewer, the VM just crashes.
We don't need to connect from the VM to the host via TeamViewer :)

I hope that cleared it up a little, sorry for any confusion haha

Thanks in advance and best regards
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Sorry, It does look like I misunderstood. :)

If I understand correctly now, it appears that whenever someone Teamviewers into the host while the VM is running and in focus on the host screen, the VM crashes.

Does the log posted above show an instance where the VM crashed while in focus on the host and a Teamviewer session was started?

Also, if someone Teamviewers into the host while the VM is running but not in focus on the host screen, does the VM crash? If it does not, then when the VM is brought into focus while the Teamviewer session is active, does the VM then crash?

FWIW I am not certain if typical VM settings changes can fix this one. We might have to post a Bugtracker ticket, and a Teamviewer bug ticket, so the devs on both systems can troubleshoot.
filemakernewbie

Not a problem :D

Exactly, that is correct!

Yes, the log shows just that.

No, in that case the VM does not crash, even if it's brought back into focus after starting the TeamViewer session.

I haven't been on here for very long, is that something I as a user need to create or is that the moderators / administrators task? :lol:

Thank you for your answer
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, so if I understand correctly, the only time the VM crashes is if a Teamviewer session starts while the VM is in focus on the host.

if you make another VM on the host, like an Ubuntu, would the same crash happen when the new VM is in focus?

If you have another Mac host, does the same thing happen?
filemakernewbie

That is correct, yes!

We have an old MacOS VM and yes, the same thing happens again. This VM was set up over a year ago (via TeamViewer) and I don't recall the VM ever crashing on anyone, just by connecting to the host via TeamViewer.

We do not have another MacOS host with a VM set up. All the other Macs that we have are a few versions below Catalina, so I wouldn't be able to recreate the exact environment.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, this could be something for the devs to look at. Please log onto the Bugtracker and post a bug with a good description, a zipped log of the crashed VM, and a link back to this topic.

You might also need to report something to TeamViewer too on their reporting system.
filemakernewbie

Okay I will do that ASAP!

Thank you for your help and have a great day :D
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

You too! I hope a solution can be found.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

How does VirtualBox on Mac handles the active display "disappearing" for a short moment?
Maybe activating Teamviewer access to the display interferes in a similar way.
Does the VM also crash if it is running in detached mode and you are using RDP to access it?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Regarding the example with User 1 and User 2: Do both users connect to the host via TeamViewer, so that there are two simultaneous TeamViewer sessions involved, or does the crash happen with a single TeamViewer session?
filemakernewbie

Hi fth0

In both instances the VM crashes. It doesn't matter if a single person connects to the Mac via TeamViewer or a second session is started, while the other one is still active.
Just as soon as someone connects to the Mac and the VM is in focus, said VM crashes.