Poor Performance on Macbook Pro 2018 Compared to Macbook Pro 2013

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Weylin
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win10, MS DOS

Poor Performance on Macbook Pro 2018 Compared to Macbook Pro 2013

Post by Weylin »

I have two machines, a MBP 2018 and a MBP 2013. Both are running VB 6.1.26 with a single Win10 guest and should be up-to-date Guest Additions, both domain-joined to the same domain (both hosts and both guests are domain-joined), and near as I can tell both guests are identically configured. The 2013 model at least performs usably whereas the 2018 model is non-performant to the point of being unusable.

How am I measuring "poor performance"? I don't have hard metrics, but on the 2013 model it generally is responsive where the 2018 model:
- opening the "start" menu is "click... wait... see a black box... wait...then see it populate data"
- logging in, and in fact typing nearly anywhere, the keyboard processor might detect a key-down and wait a while before detecting key-up, so the Win10 guest processes that by repeating the input key (including delete; return; arrow-left, etc in addition to alphanumeric keys). Passwords are difficult (and sometimes impossible) to enter, URLs are difficult to type, and typing in applications is fraught with difficulty
- opening programs can be challenging, as once it starts I'll start interacting with it, and the delay between my action and the program's response can be so great that I think it didn't register my action
- I've had occasion where I tapped <enter> to accept a prompt, and the keyboard repeat issue caused me to auto-accept follow-on prompts without my action

I've attached two vbox.log files, one from each MBP (I had to compress them to get below 128KiB limit). I tried to compare settings and get them as close as I could. Then for both host/guest instances, I started the VMs, logged-on to Windows, opened Outlook and let it sync, then shutdown the VMs.
Attachments
VBox (MBP 2018 host).log.gz
(32.71 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
VBox (MBP 2013 host).log.gz
(32.31 KiB) Downloaded 10 times