Virtualbox V 6.1.26

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Broytsch

Virtualbox V 6.1.26

Post by Broytsch »

I have V 6.1.22. I run Windows XP as the VM within this version of Oracle Virtualbox without problems.

For about a week now, every time I run the Virtualbox a pop-up appears inviting me to upgrade to V 6.1.26. if I close the VBox and re-run it again during the same day the pop-up does not appear.

I don't want to do anything which disturbs the running of Windows XP as the VM in v 6.1.22!

QUESTIONS

1. If I upgrade to v 6.1.26 will I have to reinstall Windows XP as the VM?

2. If I do this, will XP run as well in 6.1.26 as it does in 6.1.22?

3. If I decided not to upgrade, but "leave well alone", can I cancel the pop-up? The mere fact that it keeps appearing makes it possible that I will absent-mindedly click on OK. This possibility worries me - at least until you explain whether I should or should not agree to the upgrade!

Thanks in anticipation of your guidance!

"Broytsch"
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualbox V 6.1.26

Post by scottgus1 »

Broytsch wrote:1. If I upgrade to v 6.1.26 will I have to reinstall Windows XP as the VM?
No.
Broytsch wrote:will XP run as well in 6.1.26 as it does in 6.1.22?
Probably. Occasional bugs do crop in.
Broytsch wrote:can I cancel the pop-up?
Yes. See the Virtualbox Manager's File menu, Preferences, Update tab, uncheck "Check for updates".

Not updating until one has to is perfectly OK. I don't on my production host, it's still on 6.0.14. "If it ain't broke don't fix it." :lol:
Broytsch

Re: Virtualbox V 6.1.26

Post by Broytsch »

Thanks very much, Scottgus1! Good to hear from you again. You were so helpful during my original struggles. I hate wallowing in uncharted waters!

I've followed your procedure and unchecked the updates box. Re my version in use, now "legacy", I suppose: as you say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I fully agree! I can't be missing much by not upgrading when all I want VBox to do is to run XP, and when it does this just fine.

I am also reminded that "the proof of the pudding is in the eating", so I look forward so seeing NO POP-UP about the new all-singing, all-dancing (??) update when I nest use my PC and go to my VM.

Best regards,

"Broytch"