Error running DirectX 9.0C on Windows XP guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ElapheGutatta

Error running DirectX 9.0C on Windows XP guest

Post by ElapheGutatta »

VirtualBox version 6.0.24

Guest Specs:
guestspecs.PNG
guestspecs.PNG (94.32 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
Host Specs:
Device name DESKTOP-MKAQ0JU
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
Device ID A5ABC623-FE20-4FA3-9F80-A65FF775B6CC
Product ID 00330-53406-27285-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎2/‎13/‎2021
OS build 19042.1110
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

So, I'm looking to run The Sims 2 on a Windows XP guest machine. I was able to get The Sims 2 and both Guest Additions and DirectX 9.0C, which Sims 2 said it required, installed without issue, but when I try to run the actual program, I first get an error which contains no text, a generic icon, and a Yes/No dialog box. It looks like this.
emptyerror.PNG
emptyerror.PNG (32.9 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
Pressing No terminates the program and sends me back to desktop, while pressing yes results in this error.
Direct3DError.png
Direct3DError.png (10.59 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
Web searches on this particular error have turned up multiple results, very few of which are actually helpful. The most consistent results are that it's the result of either improperly configured DLLs, not having the correct graphics card drivers, or other programs interfering with DirectX. The only programs I have installed on this guest other than The Sims 2 are the Guest Additions and default system programs. I've run disk checks as suggested by several guides to deal with incorrect DLLs and they've come up clean, but nothing has changed. Is there anything I can do about this on the guest side? If it's a driver problem, I have no idea what to do with it, seeing as the graphics card I'm using doesn't really exist.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Error running DirectX 9.0C on Windows XP guest

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log and the hardening log next to it, zip them, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.