How to log in to Windows NT 4.0?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
GregW67

How to log in to Windows NT 4.0?

Post by GregW67 »

I have just created a new Virtualbox VM with Windows NT 4.0 as the guest. My host OS is Windows 10 Pro.

Upon starting the VM, NT 4.0 asks you to press Ctrl-Alt-Del to log in. I have found my way around the first hurdle (pressing these keys activates Windows 10's Ctrl-Alt-Del function, but using the VM's Input tab allowed me to insert this key press into NT 4.0). However the next part is not so easy. NT 4.0 asks for an Administrator password, and I have no idea what to put here. I've tried leaving it blank, and just pressing Cancel, but neither option logs me in. I have never used NT 4.0 on a stand-alone computer, hence have no idea of any default password or way around this.

My VM has been set up by downloading a pre-made virtual disk.

Many thanks, Greg.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How to log in to Windows NT 4.0?

Post by mpack »

This is not a VirtualBox question. If Windows is set up to require a password then it requires the password, and that is the case regardless of what hardware the OS runs on.

You say that you downloaded a ready-made VM? In that case you should look for release notes from or ask questions of whomever made that download available.

Or, search online for what you can do if you have forgotten an NT4 admin password.
GregW67

Re: How to log in to Windows NT 4.0?

Post by GregW67 »

Thanks, it turned out that the password is password.