Installing Windows 10 from System Image

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Gordonbp

Installing Windows 10 from System Image

Post by Gordonbp »

VB on Ubuntu 20
I'm tryin to install from a System Image backup. I have the Win 10 iso, and that runs OK but when I click on the Repair your Computer>Restore from System Image (which is on an external HDD) it doesn't recognise the files in the backup (vxd).
I need to do this because the machine came with Windows 10 and the activation key is in the BIOS and not accessible so I can't install directly from the Windows 10 iso...
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Installing Windows 10 from System Image

Post by scottgus1 »

Gordonbp wrote:it doesn't recognise the files in the backup (vxd).
Does this mean it can see the files but not use them? Or does it mean the files cannot be seen?

FWIW the hardware in a Virtualbox VM is not the same as the hardware the backed-up OS was running on. Whether this will cause trouble remains to be seen.
Gordonbp wrote:I need to do this because the machine came with Windows 10 and the activation key is in the BIOS
There are 3rd-party apps available to read the BIOS-stored product code.

Also, a reinstall of 10 from an ISO or DVD on an already-activated PC (or VM, though I have not tried it myself) will automatically reactivate. You don't need to put in the product key for 10. Just skip past it and let the OS install - it will activate itself.
Gordonbp

Post by Gordonbp »

Also, a reinstall of 10 from an ISO or DVD on an already-activated PC (or VM, though I have not tried it myself) will automatically reactivate. You don't need to put in the product key for 10. Just skip past it and let the OS install - it will activate itself.
I did have to activate, as the activation app said "couldn't find an activation key on this machine".
However, I clicked on "Troubleshoot", which said "couldn't troubleshoot" (!) but there was a button to click "I have changed the hardware recently". That took me to my Microsoft Account/Devices where the original PC was. I clicked on that, and it activated.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Good! Glad you're up and running.

"I have changed the hardware recently" is probably why the activation issue was happening.