Cross Platform Hosts/Guests

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
akmartinez1

Cross Platform Hosts/Guests

Post by akmartinez1 »

Hello everyone,

I'm new so please forgive me if this has been covered before. I did a very quick and simple search and did not find an answer.

My question is can Guests created in one host be opened and used in another host?

I created a Win10 Guest in Win10. If I save the guest folder to a networked drive and copy it down to a different host will it work/run? Or do I need to create another guest from the host I intend to use it in?

Also can I run the guest from the networked drive?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Cross Platform Hosts/Guests

Post by scottgus1 »

akmartinez1 wrote:can Guests created in one host be opened and used in another host?
Yes.
akmartinez1 wrote:If I save the guest folder to a networked drive and copy it down to a different host will it work/run?
Yes. Be sure the VM's disk file goes in the VM folder with the .vbox file. This is its default location, but folks sometimes put the disk file in a different folder, which will cause trouble for your desired usage.

Also, mind that each copy really needs its own license, unless you intend to only run one of the copies at a time.
akmartinez1 wrote:Also can I run the guest from the networked drive?
Possibly, if you have better than gigabit Ethernet. Regular Ethernet may be slow. Wi-Fi, probably glacial. And only one host can run it at a time over the network.
akmartinez1

Re: Cross Platform Hosts/Guests

Post by akmartinez1 »

Thank You!

This is a great help as it will avoid having to create 2 or 4 different guests across my different Host OS's.

Yes, I would be running the guest on one host at a time.

It sounds like I best NOT try running a guest over my network as I don't think my network will be fast enough but I'll try just in case.

Again, Thanks!!!

Alan