Windows 10 guest network configuration Host Only

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
BerndM
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: keine

Windows 10 guest network configuration Host Only

Post by BerndM »

Hello,

I will share a folder between two guests with SMB. Not with the shared folder from VBox. This is to slow for the Windows 10.

So I have configure the Windows 10 guest with NAT for the installation and updates and than I changed the network card configuration. And I don't understand the behaviour.

When I configure NAT than works all fine. I have access to the internet and tho other PCs in my LAN. All is OK.

When I configure it to the Host-Only-Adapter I have no access to the internet, that is OK so. I can ping from the Windows 10 guest to the host and otherwise. That is also OK. But the IP address from the windows client is 192.168.56.100 and the lowest IP address in the configuration from the DHCP server in VBox is 192.168.56.101. What is that?
The next point is, I dosn't see the SMB folger from the Windows 10 client on the Ubuntu host. I've checket it with smclient to the PC name and to the IP address.

A second Windows 10 client which I have configured with two network cards, first NAT the cable is disconnected and second with Host-Only and the cable is connected. This becomes a IP 192.168.56.101, what is the first in the range of the VBOX DHCP server. But I can ping the Ubuntu host from the Windows client but not otherwise.

Now I have more windows server, so I will test the access to this and change from the first Windows guest the adapter to Bridge. This card becomes now all TCP/IP configuration from my DHCP server. And all setting s are correct. Now I can ping from the Windows guest to the Ubuntu host, to the gateway, to other PCs but not to my DHCP server. Why? It have becomes the configuration from it. When I set the adapter to NAT, than works all fine. And I see the shared files with smbclient -L <IP address>. The name resolution with wins dosn't work, becouse the wins server runs on the same machine as the DHCP server.

After this I've configured booth Windows guests with Internal Network. The first guest becomes the IP 169.254.127.138/16 and the second 169.254.64.34/16. I think booth is OK. From the guest 2 I can ping to the guest 1 and otherwise. And booth Windows 10 guest have access to the other SMB files vie IP address and wins name. Nice, all is OK.

Have everybody an idea what generates this behaviour by the brigde and host only configuration?

Thanks for Your help,
Bernd
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 10 guest network configuration Host Only

Post by scottgus1 »

There's a lot of questions in this topic. Before we begin, please look over Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures, and see if it helps with some of your questions. Please ask more if something still is unclear.
BerndM
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: keine

Post by BerndM »

Thanks for the link. It is verry helpful.

The DHCP server is only for the Host-Only-Adapter configurable in the GUI. For the Internal-Adapter I've configured static addresses, but I've found a DHCP server configuration. Can I configure a DHCP server via command line for the Internal-Adapter?

A little bit other problem is the LAN access. On the Windows10 guest run a VPN client. Now I need in the Debian guest this VPN connections. Is this work with the Internal-Adapter?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

BerndM wrote:Can I configure a DHCP server via command line for the Internal-Adapter?
Yes. See the 'vboxmanage dhcpserver' commands in the manual.
BerndM wrote:On the Windows10 guest run a VPN client. Now I need in the Debian guest this VPN connections.
I'm not too certain about this one. If a VPN is running on the host, and the VMs are connected via NAT or NAT Network, then the VMs should go through the VPN too, according to Mpack (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=103228#p501742 last paragraph). I think this happens because the NAT/NAT Network streams go through the host network stack. I don't know if it's because there is a NAT router inside NAT/NAT Network that is required to make this work.

If you cannot simply start another VPN client in the Debian VM, then the trick you have to pull off is to get the stream from the Debian VM to go through the Windows 10 VM's network stack. Since NAT cannot disconnect the "WAN" side from the host, you would have to at least try Internal between the Windows 10 and Debian. Then you have to run a service inside W10 that would act like NAT, maybe Windows RRAS? which would take the Internal traffic and "NAT" it into the W10 network stack, then maybe the W10 VPN client might pick up both OSs' network traffic. We'd need a network guru to weigh in on this.