How do I inactivate windows 10 license I used on windows VM, then delete VM & use licence elsewhere

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
sadler

How do I inactivate windows 10 license I used on windows VM, then delete VM & use licence elsewhere

Post by sadler »

How do I inactivate the windows 10 license I used on a windows VM which is hosted on a windows 10 host?
I have just installed and set up a windows 10 VM on Virtual box on my windows 10 Pro laptop. I activated it using a new windows 10 Pro license.
I mow want to uninstall and delete this windows 10 VM but want to subsequently use the windows 10 license on another installation on a different system. I cannot find how to do this. I would really appreciate advice.
Thanks, Suzanne
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: How do I inactivate windows 10 license I used on windows VM, then delete VM & use licence elsewh

Post by scottgus1 »

A VM is really a PC, for Microsoft licensing purposes. So you can pretend the VM is a real PC and web-search how to withdraw and move Windows licenses.

However, there is an alternative to switching the license if you haven't started extensive work on the new VM yet or are willing to scrap the new VM:

A Virtualbox VM can be easily moved to a different host computer. After shutting down (not save-state) the VM on the old host, copy the VM folder (and any drive files stored outside the VM folder) to the new host. Then register the VM's .vbox file in the main Virtualbox window's Machine menu Add command. The VM on the new host contains the same hardware UUIDs as the old VM, and the Windows license will still work. You can fresh-install Windows in the new VM too, if you want, and it will remain licensed because all the UUIDs are the same. Once the new VM is seen to be working well, the old one can be deleted.
sadler

Re: How do I inactivate windows 10 license I used on windows VM, then delete VM & use licence elsewh

Post by sadler »

Thank you. That is very helpful,
Suzanne
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

sadler wrote:but want to subsequently use the windows 10 license on another installation on a different system. I cannot find how to do this.
That's a Microsoft question, not a VirtualBox question. AFAIK Microsoft does not offer different licensing terms and procedures for VMs, so Google for how Microsoft recommends that you move licenses in normal scenarios.

I have to disagree with Scott about something: if you move a Win10 VM to a new host PC it is not AFAIK guaranteed to remain activated. Microsoft changes the activation signature criteria regularly, but I believe CPUID will still be heavily weighted. At least unless an MS store login counts higher these days.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Interesting, Mpack. I haven't actually activated a Windows 10 VM over here, they've all been experimental. And it is interesting the CPU may weigh in heavily. But I'm figuring that if a W10 VM deactivated itself because of moving to a new host, the VM 'motherboard' is still the same, and since Microsoft counts the VM as a whole PC, it should be possible to either online- or phone-in reactivate if activation complains. What do you think?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I would expect anything that indicates a motherboard change to be weighted heavily in the hardware signature calculation. So yes that includes the CPU.

I've never needed to request reactivation of a Win10 license, but yes I'd expect that reactivation would be possible using the normal rules, e.g. that the last activation was at least a few months ago.