XP--- no useable internet; won't read dvd

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Gnigma23

XP--- no useable internet; won't read dvd

Post by Gnigma23 »

I am running XP Pro 64 on an asus k52f laptop under Debian 10. Install was non problematic, and most everything works, except the VM doesn't see the disc in the dvd drive, and there is no useable internet. All I have right now is the OEM Windows Explorer. It will pull up the Google search page and display results from a search. (It was already pulling up Bing, but I can't stand Bing.) The problem is, when I try to go to any OTHER website, it simply won't. It won't go to anything the search pulled up, nor can I put in the HTTP address. It just says it cannot connect to that site. I've checked the LAN connections (auto-detect is checked). The 128 bit encryption is enabled. I've been told that I just need another browser. The problem is, IE will not allow me to go to any site and download anything! I have tried to download installation files for other browsers, (Opera, Firefox, Chrome. etc.) under Windows 10, and finally got XP to read the dvd. It does not see any of the downloaded files at all. I've tried putting the files on a usb drive, but it can't see that drive at all. All this is with the firewall off and no antivirus. (Couldn't download that, either.) I feel like there is something simple I am overlooking. Oh, yeah, I can ping any site from the terminal in XP.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: XP--- no useable internet; won't read dvd

Post by scottgus1 »

Gnigma23 wrote:there is no useable internet
No internet for a WinXP/98/95 guest
All of what you have is exactly the problem with browsing the web in XP in these modern times. Might as well try to browse the web on a teletypewriter. :lol:
Gnigma23 wrote:the VM doesn't see the disc in the dvd drive
XP should still be able to see the VM's CD drive. Is your VM's CD drive pointed at the host's CD drive?
Gnigma23

Post by Gnigma23 »

Whatever is on the disc, the VM (XP) says the disc is blank. So, it's not going to happen? If so, I guess that's ok. I'm not dead set on browsing with the XP VM, though it would be good to be able to download an occasional file. I'd still like to know why it won't read either a disc or a usb drive.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Let's please revert to forum standard One issue per thread.

This one will be about internet access in XP. Please open separate topics about the VM not being able to read the CD drive our a USB stick.

Since you can ping the internet from XP's Command Prompt, you have good network and internet. Now you need to get a modern-enough XP-compatible browser into the VM. See the attached link. Getting the installer into the VM can be done if you install Guest additions in the VM. See section 4 in the manual. Then you can set up and use a Virtualbox Shared Folder to copy the browser installer from the host into the VM's hard drive.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Don't write off browsing from XP. All you need is a modern browser which runs on XP. In most cases the very latest version will not run on XP but you can usually find a fairly recent version which will. Scott has told you how you can download the installer on the host PC and copy it to XP.

I can use my browser in XP quite normally with SeaMonkey version2.49.1
SeaMonkey3.PNG
SeaMonkey3.PNG (39.21 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
SeaMonkey2.PNG
SeaMonkey2.PNG (107.73 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
Bill
Gnigma23

Post by Gnigma23 »

I'll read that section and try it. Sorry about the multiple issues thing, but I couldn't tell if these were separate problems, or a glitch that affected all of them.