Internet working but security error when trying to do Windows Update or Update Virus Definitions

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Newtovirtualbox

Internet working but security error when trying to do Windows Update or Update Virus Definitions

Post by Newtovirtualbox »

Hello and thank you in advance for the help. I am brand new to the virtual box world but am very pleased with it so far. I have an internet connection that is working fine (in fact, I am on the forums in my virtual box typing this message). However, anytime I try to do anything other than browse the web (such as Windows Update or updating virus definitions), I receive an error message that the update failed. Once it said "security failure" which led me to believe my internet connection on my Host PC is blocking it somehow but I haven't been able to figure out how to fix that even after reading the networking information from the manual. I gathered that I probably needed to use the "bridged" connection so I changed that in the guest system but have left everything else as defaults.

I'm not really sure what to do next. I have a high speed internet connection through Brighthouse. I am not sure what I might need to change on the router side to allow the virtual box through without hurting my security on my host. Do I need to disable Windows Firewall and is that going to open me up to other vulnerabilities? I'm not sure if you need any other information but thank you again for your help with this!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Internet working but security error when trying to do Windows Update or Update Virus Definitions

Post by scottgus1 »

Without knowing what OS you're using in the VM, it is harder to help. If it was XP, for example, then any downloading of updates & AV would probably fail since XP's security levels are so old.

Generally, if the VM can ping, then the network is working, and the problem lies in some configuration trouble elsewhere besides Virtualbox. You have internet access, which is even better to show good network than ping. Your VM's OS is likely causing the security problems.

NAT does send the VM's traffic through the host PC's internet connection, which could be filtered by extra-zealous AV. Bridged does put the VM on the host's network without having the host filter the traffic, but Bridged may have problems if you're using Wi-Fi. See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures.
Newtovirtualbox

Re: Internet working but security error when trying to do Windows Update or Update Virus Definitions

Thank you for the response. My host is Windows 10 and the vm box is on Win 7 sp1. I actually don't have any anti virus installed on my Windows 10 (I know, I know). My host has an ethernet connection, not using wifi. Does that help? Any idea what I should try next?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Newtovirtualbox wrote:don't have any anti virus installed on my Windows 10 (I know, I know)
This is actually good. It means you're probably running Windows 10's built-in Defender AV which does work well and does not interfere with Virtualbox.

Windows 10 may have Hyper-V enabled, which may interfere with a VM OS hashing files for security purposes. Please right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log. Search the far left tab's log for this text:

Attempting fall back to NEM

If you find it, Hyper-V is enabled. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

If that tell-tale text is not in the log, try these:

Please Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file.)

Also, In both host and VM Windows OS's, open a Command Prompt and run ipconfig /all. Post the command output.

Windows 7 is past its EOL, so updates and Microsoft AV may not be available for it anymore. Consider WSUSoffline, which makes an ISO packed with Windows updates. You'll need to download an older version for Windows 7, looks like their version 11.9 is their last Windows 7 updater.

Aside from the above, the exact error message may help give a clue where to look. FWIW there is no Virtualbox setting that would specifically block downloads to a VM while allowing internet.
Newtovirtualbox

Hi. Thank you for the response! I did not find that exact text but I did see a lot of Hyper-V text such as: "Enabling Hyper-V x2APIC compatibility mode" that makes me believe it is enabled. Should I still follow the instructions on that link?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

That phrase occurs in a non-Hyper-V-influenced Virtualbox VM, too. It is OK.

If you find this line, probably right after "End of CFGM dump":
{timestamp} HMR3Init: VT-x....
or
{timestamp} HMR3Init: AMD-V....
These mean your host's Hyper-V is turned off, which is good. Other mentions of Hyper-V will be regarding paravirtualization, which is a comm channel for virtualization-aware OS's to talk to whatever hypervisor is running them, so they can run more efficiently. Windows 7 & later VMs will have this setting set to Hyper-V, which is just the paravirtualization language Windows speaks in a VM, and does not turn on the host OS's Hyper-V.

You shouldn't have to go through that tutorial. Please go on to the other things to post.
Newtovirtualbox

Hello. I think these are all the files you need and ty again!
Attachments
Win7_64bi_vboxt.zip
(2 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
hostIPConfig.txt
(4.6 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
guestIPConfig.PNG
guestIPConfig.PNG (33.72 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the info! So far everything looks good. The VM is Bridged to the host PC's ethernet adapter, it is getting a correct IPv4 IP address from the host LAN. Bridged traffic does not go through the host's security stack, to the best of my knowledge, so host AV is not interfering. Internet works, per the first post. If W10's Hyper-V is truly off, then no hashing troubles (if you could zip and post a vbox.log we could confirm this).

I'm going to have to chalk this one up to Windows 7 being EOL and updates not being available anymore (failure of AV updates may be the same reason if your VM was running MS Security Essentials for AV). I personally have not tried to run online updates in a W7 VM, I downloaded WSUSoffline for that.
Newtovirtualbox

I had thought that at first regarding Win 7 updates too but I also get an error trying to update virus definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials. Maybe they aren't doing updates for that on Win 7 either?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Newtovirtualbox wrote:I also get an error trying to update virus definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials.
scottgus1 wrote:failure of AV updates may be the same reason if your VM was running MS Security Essentials for AV
Newtovirtualbox

LOL... Ok, thank you so much for your help Scott. I guess everything is good and it's just the updates I can't get. I've downloaded the update installer you recommended and will do it that way. I'll just go for a different AV. Thank you!
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Glad to be of help. Have fun!