Corrupted desktop displays in a brand new 64-bit W10 Pro guest VM.

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ant
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows and macOSes

Corrupted desktop displays in a brand new 64-bit W10 Pro guest VM.

Post by ant »

Hello.

I just installed (not activated) a brand new VB v6.1.22 r144080 and 64-bit W10 Pro guest VM into my new (3 days old) activated 64-bit W10 Pro PC host (see my primary PC's details in http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/My ... rStuff.txt). Both W10 Pro. have all updates. I installed the VB addons in both guest and host. The guest VM shows weird desktop display issues like in my two uploaded screen (shot/capture)s: https://ibb.co/album/Qv5sGj. I don't have this problem with my old Windows VM guest images (64-bit W7 HPE SP1 and XP Pro. SP3). I attached a zip file with VB logs from the host PC.

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
Attachments
VBox.zip
Logs!
(105.71 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Corrupted desktop displays in a brand new 64-bit W10 Pro guest VM.

Post by mpack »

Did you try the usual thing? I.e. start the VM with 3D acceleration disabled, turn off Win10 transparency effects, now you can re-enable 3D acceleration.

Win10 would benefit from a second core.

You should ejects the GAs CD.
ant

Post by ant »

mpack wrote:Did you try the usual thing? I.e. start the VM with 3D acceleration disabled, turn off Win10 transparency effects, now you can re-enable 3D acceleration.

Win10 would benefit from a second core.

You should ejects the GAs CD.
Is W10's transparency effects a known issue in VM? It doesn't look like I can turn off transparency effects since I didn't activate W10 (not going to too since I don't have another key and it's only for brief testings to play in). I guess I will have to live without 3D acceleration. :( I enabled its second core. It feels faster now. I wonder what else to make it faster. Obvously, not fast as my old Windows XP Pro. SP3 (dang!). Oh, and I always forget to eject my drives like discs! Thank you!
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

ant wrote:It doesn't look like I can turn off transparency effects since I didn't activate W10
You'll find the same setting under Settings > Ease of Access > Display > Simplify and personalize Windows > Show transparency in Windows, where it is accessible without activation. ;)
ant

Post by ant »

fth0 wrote:
ant wrote:It doesn't look like I can turn off transparency effects since I didn't activate W10
You'll find the same setting under Settings > Ease of Access > Display > Simplify and personalize Windows > Show transparency in Windows, where it is accessible without activation. ;)
Thanks. Sheesh, MS make things harder for its users. W10 is sure confusing, messy, bloated, and complex. :( Hmm, 3D acceleration seems to make my W10 guest VM slower. Or is it just me?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

ant wrote::( Hmm, 3D acceleration seems to make my W10 guest VM slower. Or is it just me?
It's just you. I'm not aware of any other reports of that correlation. Assuming of course that you have decent 3D graphics (OpenGL) on the host.
ant

Post by ant »

mpack wrote:
ant wrote::( Hmm, 3D acceleration seems to make my W10 guest VM slower. Or is it just me?
It's just you. I'm not aware of any other reports of that correlation. Assuming of course that you have decent 3D graphics (OpenGL) on the host.
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti DirectX 11.2 N750TI-2GD5/OC (2 GB of VRAM) should be OK? I will have to mess with the settings later. Me, sleep!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

ant wrote:MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti DirectX 11.2 N750TI-2GD5/OC (2 GB of VRAM) should be OK?
Yup. Not too far from what I'm using (GTX 960).

That said, NVidia do have a nasty habit of forgetting to properly sign their driver DLLs, which causes VirtualBox to kick them out. I do see mention of some NVidia DLLs in your hardening log (specifically nlvdumdx.dll and nvd3dumx.dll). Whether this is actually causing a problem or not I can't tell from the log, but you might want to check if NVidia has a driver update.
ant

Post by ant »

mpack wrote:
ant wrote:MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti DirectX 11.2 N750TI-2GD5/OC (2 GB of VRAM) should be OK?
Yup. Not too far from what I'm using (GTX 960).

That said, NVidia do have a nasty habit of forgetting to properly sign their driver DLLs, which causes VirtualBox to kick them out. I do see mention of some NVidia DLLs in your hardening log (specifically nlvdumdx.dll and nvd3dumx.dll). Whether this is actually causing a problem or not I can't tell from the log, but you might want to check if NVidia has a driver update.
Kick them out? What do you mean?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm talking about hardening. I even said "in your hardening log". Your original post included the hardening log so I assumed you knew what it represented.

If not then FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues.