window10 crashing when I try to run VM in VBox (apparently ONLY in those circs) - PNP:FATAL ERROR

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Broytsch

window10 crashing when I try to run VM in VBox (apparently ONLY in those circs) - PNP:FATAL ERROR

Post by Broytsch »

Can you help with this?

As things stand, the PC seems to work normally UNTIL, after starting VBox, I try to run the VM (Windows XP). Then it crashes, with the error message in the subject line above. It re-starts. If I try again to run the VM after starting VBox, the whole W10 is again shut down. with a blue screen showing hat error message.

So far I have not found any other operation which causes the Host PC to crash.

If it's relevant, I have done my best(!) to install printfil, which had to be installed on both the Host (W 10) and the Guest (the VM). I still can't get print from DOS programs with their own printer drivers, therefore requiring an LPT1 port. At least, I couldn't while I was still able to run the VM!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: window10 crashing when I try to run VM in VBox (apparently ONLY in those circs) - PNP:FATAL ERRO

Post by mpack »

PNP usually means "plug and play". So I'm guessing that a third party driver for some host USB device is crashing. I don't know what the USB device is, but presumably something exotic, since common devices have native drivers.

You might look at enabling minidumps to analyze host BSODs.