windows xp with activation code installed into VirtualBox, but will not run

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: windows xp with activation code installed into VirtualBox, but will not run

Post by scottgus1 »

It extracted over here just fine.

Your hardening exit code = 1, see Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues.

Your host has no unnecessary 3rd-party antivirus, and you're using Windows 10's antivirus, which is good.

However, you have something that is hacking the system files, in the same manner that malware uses. Many 'web-safe security browsing' nanny programs do this. Your PC has Trusteer Rapport installed, which has a bad reputation for upsetting Virtualbox.

Look for any non-Windows security software and uninstall it, especially Trusteer Rapport, and see if Virtualbox can run.
Broytsch

Post by Broytsch »

I think that the Hardening file is what it is supposed to be. I have unzipped it. It appears in Notepad. Comparing it with the Hardening file in the manager, it seems identicla when unzipped.

So i have now hopefully done the same thing with the VBox.log.

Please see attachment.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(25.76 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Broytsch

Post by Broytsch »

I have changed the video memory from 16MB to 64MB, but the VM (Windows XP) still does not run when the Start arrow is pressed. The same error message as I sent you an image of at the start of this correspondence.

The error message (every time it appears) suggests reinstalling Virtual Box. This has already been done twice, to no effect as regards the failure of the VM to run.
Broytsch

Post by Broytsch »

I've just seen your comment about TrusteerRapport. I will uninstall this, re-start the PC, and try to run the VM again.
Broytsch

Post by Broytsch »

I've uninstalled Trusteer Rapport and, lo and behold, the VM (Windows XP) starts, and appears to be stable.

Many thanks for that suggestion. As you know, this software (I like your description of it as a Nanny program!) is heavily promoted by banking websites, so I downloaded the first time I saw it advised. I had forgotten about it because it is 100% unobtrusive.

If removing it allows the VBox manager to allow my copy of Windows XP to run, then I'm prepared to do without it. As you say, Windows Defender is running (that came with Windows 10, of course)

USB DRIVES

I had already installed my three precious old DOS programs (word processor, accounts manager, spreadsheet). The files for these programs are on two USB sticks (each with identical contents: one is a back-up for the other), so I have to have at least one stick active to use any of these programs.

After the third original installation of the VBox manage the VM (I mean the Windows XP - that's the only machine that I have within the VBox) started and worked for one whole session. I don't remember how, but I was able to make he VM see the USB drives (when the sticks were in the ports).

Would you be good enough to explain to me what to do to get these ports so that My Computer in the VM shows them - and KEEPS them ready to use again at my next session?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The easiest way to let XP see the USB drives is to (a) install the Guest Additions, then (b) add the USB drives as shared folders. Or better yet, create a permanent shared folder on host primary drive and copy the contents of the USB sticks into that.
Broytsch

Post by Broytsch »

Thanks!

I will try and find how to install Guest additions (to the VBox, not to the VM).

I propose to do it this way because I need the VM to see the actual USB drives plugged into the Host (Windows 10 PC), and this sounds like the way to achieve this.

In that way the DOS programs show the relevant directory (folder) contents, so I can load the file that I want to work on. That's how it works in a Windows XP "real machine", anyway. (I have two Windows XP computers which work (and two others, which no longer work, and are probably not repairable)).

Obviously, these machines are the best Host for my programs, one of which (the word processor) is not an original DOS program, but a special version of it produced for XP computers (where it still runs in the DOS emulator). This program can be used only with XP, and not with earlier versions of Windows, or with DOS version 5/6 machines like the two other programs.

So I must have a PC for these programs with a full DOS emulator and which also allows installation of my word processor. That means XP.

I need XP running as a VM because the only source of XP computers now is second-hand ones, and these are (a) expensive for what they are, and (b) last often only months, not even years.

I have tried o get a new XP computer built for me, but, apparently, there are no new suitable motherboards. Maybe you know different ?

Before I can be totally reliant on XP as a VM i must therefore be able to load the working files for my programs into the programs from USB sticks.

Finally (yet another bridge to be crossed in due course!), I will need software which will " trick" the printer outputs from the three programs, each of which, being a DOS program, at least in origin, has its own printer driver) into seeing the USB printer port on my Host W 10 machine as an LPT1 (parallel) port.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Broytsch wrote:I will try and find how to install Guest additions (to the VBox, not to the VM).
Virtualbox (the "Vbox") gets installed on the host PC. The Guest Additions get installed inside the VM's OS. See section 4 in the manual.
Broytsch wrote:one of which (the word processor) is not an original DOS program, but a special version of it produced for XP computers (where it still runs in the DOS emulator). This program can be used only with XP ... I must have a PC for these programs with a full DOS emulator and which also allows installation of my word processor.
Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees. I'd seriously consider bringing the data forward a tad, to a program that is more reliably installed on modern OS's. Can't think of any reason why ASCII/UTF text couldn't be brought out of an old word processor into a more modern word processor.
Broytsch wrote:software which will " trick" the printer outputs from the three programs, each of which, being a DOS program, at least in origin, has its own printer driver) into seeing the USB printer port on my Host W 10 machine as an LPT1 (parallel) port.
This one is a subject for another topic. "One issue per thread"