Windows XP on Windows 10

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Gloops

Windows XP on Windows 10

Post by Gloops »

Hello everybody,

I use Windows 10 up-to-date as host system (Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.19042.985]), at the third attempt I think I got an up-to-date VirtualBox, it was VirtualBox-6.1.22-144080-Win.exe

I should like to install Windows XP on that, I have to wait for tomorrow to post URLs, but I should like to verify the guide I found is adapted for my case.

Oh, I installed an extension, Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.22.vbox-extpack, perhaps this can help ? This is what I understood when downloading it, but I have no idea where to find something from it on the disk, I only see the download in the download directory.

On another machine with Windows 10 (that I am replacing because it could not update) I had Oracle VM 5 with Windows XP. Does it help to download what I had on that ? Perhaps some software on it do not have to be installed again ?
I noticed that Oracle VM 5 cannot run on my new machine.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows XP on Windows 10

Post by mpack »

I suggest that you read the first few chapters of the User Manual.

This is also available as a PDF in the VirtualBox program folder, and there is F1 help in the manager.

Oracle VM is a server product which is unrelated to VirtualBox except by ownership. Oracle already had the former when they bought Sun and thus acquired VirtualBox which they rebranded "Oracle VM VirtualBox".

Short form: it will take work to migrate an Oracle VM XP to a VirtualBox XP, but it will probably be easier than a more typical physical to virtual migration. Simplest of all would be to install a new XP VM in VirtualBox. In any case you'll probably need an XP setup CD for the appropriate marketing branch of XP (Pro, Home, etc).
Gloops

Post by Gloops »

Oh, sorry : I saw Virtual in the name, and then .. in short "I saw light, I came in" ...
Well, as I used a virtual machine with no problem during several years, to use XP on a new Windows 10 machine, perhaps the most simple would be that I keep on using the same product ?
I first tried to use the same install program, but it appeared the version was not compatible with the update of Windows 10. So, I thought I had found the update, and it seems no as you say. In fact, I arrived here by following a link in the help menu in the virtual machine I had before.
A few years ago I got Virtual Machine on a site that gave both the virtual machine program installation and a few ready virtual machines, including XP, and that was fine as my Windows XP was an OEM one. It would be fine I find that updated.
But then if I must use another product than what I installed I have got to get back to the beginning, and here I am not at the good address to ask questions ?
By the way, is it a problem to have both Virtualbox and Virtual Machine on the same host ?

Perhaps an ingenious question : can an XP virtual machine be used anywhere in VirtualBox ?

Sorry if my question appears a little rambling, but I must admit I am a little disoriented.

Well, I just "subscribed" to the topic. I should have thought that would be automatic when creating a topic.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Gloops wrote: Perhaps an ingenious question : can an XP virtual machine be used anywhere in VirtualBox ?
It's not clear to me what "anywhere in VirtualBox" means. There's only one place in VirtualBox that lists VMs.

Are you asking if a VirtualBox XP VM can be moved to a different PC? Mechanically, yes it can. Legally there may issues. Practically there may be activation issues if the CPU changes and that version of XP needs to be activated (some OEM versions don't).
Gloops

Post by Gloops »

More precisely, I had a VM used on Virtual Machine program, and the question was whether I can use it on VirtualBox now that I installed this.
So, as I understand the most simple would be to give a try, but issues can appear.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I can't predict the future (not reliably anyway), so trying it is your only option. Providing you have a backup of the VM I don't see many issues that can appear.

Just to be clear: VirtualBox does not claim to be able to run "Oracle VM" VMs. So this will be a migration like any other. Nothing special. Not always easy. No guarantees.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Just want to add one thing here:

If by any chance "Oracle VM" from the first post does mean Virtualbox (which it could be, considering that Oracle calls Virtualbox "Oracle VM Virtualbox"), and you want to take the XP VM off the old host PC and bring it to the new host PC, then this should be really easy.

A Virtualbox VM consists of a folder containing a .vbox file, a disk file (.vdi, .vmdk, vhd being the common types) a Logs folder, and a Snapshots folder. (Some folks put the disk file in a different folder.) If your VM folder contains the disk file as well as all the other files & folders in the one main folder, you can copy the whole VM folder to a new host PC and register it on the new host Virtualbox using the main Virtualbox window's Machine menu Add command.

FWIW I have moved a Server 2003 OEM VM from one host to another and did not have reactivation issues. Server 2003 is XP with server stuff included. YMMV, but you probably won't have issues switching hosts on the XP VM.
Gloops

Post by Gloops »

scottgus1 wrote:Just want to add one thing here:

If by any chance "Oracle VM" from the first post does mean Virtualbox (which it could be, considering that Oracle calls Virtualbox "Oracle VM Virtualbox"), and you want to take the XP VM off the old host PC and bring it to the new host PC, then this should be really easy.
Oh, then I am going to try that. Perhaps not immediately as the services are stopped on my old machine, perhaps it is not a problem but I guess it is better to be "abailable" when giving it a try.

In the meanwhile I downloaded a virtual machine with Windows XP Professionnal 32 bits. I got a zip file, and I am not sure about how to get a VM file from it.

Code: Select all

Répertoire de D:\Telechargements\Windows XP Professional SP3 - 32Bits\Windows XP Professional 32Bits

27/05/2021  17:26    <DIR>          .
27/05/2021  17:26    <DIR>          ..
12/06/2015  11:57    <DIR>          caches
27/05/2021  17:26           354 449 vmware.log
27/05/2021  17:26             8 684 Windows XP Professional 32Bits.nvram
27/05/2021  17:26     1 907 818 496 Windows XP Professional 32Bits.vmdk
27/05/2021  17:26                 0 Windows XP Professional 32Bits.vmsd
27/05/2021  17:26             2 927 Windows XP Professional 32Bits.vmx
27/05/2021  17:26             3 891 Windows XP Professional 32Bits.vmxf
               6 fichier(s)    1 908 188 447 octets
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Gloops wrote:I downloaded a virtual machine with Windows XP
Can't help you with this one. XP is a licensed OS that can't be run without paying Microsoft for it. The Virtualbox forums can't help run EULA-violating software.
Gloops wrote:I am going to try that. Perhaps not immediately as the services are stopped on my old machine,
The VM folder copy is only a standard copy process, you don't even need the old PC to be running; it can be dead. Just the hard drive, connected to a USB caddy, will work to copy the VM folder off the old drive to your host PC.