Cannot select Direct3d as guest in safe mode or under any other account in any mode. Windows xp pro

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
buddysWorld

Cannot select Direct3d as guest in safe mode or under any other account in any mode. Windows xp pro

Post by buddysWorld »

After much messing about with permissions I've finally been able to boot into safe mode as a guest, but it still won't let me select Direct 3D! I am using VboxVGA as that was the proposed solution for a similar problem. The guest has admin privaleges and I've tried it booting with and without network. The version of windows I'm using is Windows XP Professional with pack 3. I'm doing this so that I can install OpenGL so that I can finally play COD GOTY Edition.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(36.74 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Cannot select Direct3d as guest in safe mode or under any other account in any mode. Windows xp

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox 6.1.x has removed 3D acceleration for Vista and earlier. To get 3D in XP you'll have to run 6.0.x or earlier. Be sure to downgrade the Guest Additions to the same version of Virtualbox you decide on. FWIW 6.0.14 was stable in the forum for some time. Continue to use VboxVGA, not the S version.

Video on a Virtualbox VM may not be so hot for gaming. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=101304&p=491848#p491844 for a possible software rendering openGL.
buddysWorld

Re: Cannot select Direct3d as guest in safe mode or under any other account in any mode. Windows xp

Post by buddysWorld »

Thanks! Everything worked but now the game's telling me it's missing its default and sometimes default_mp .cfg files. I looks like they are since I can't find them through searching.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If the game is playing from the host CD player, try clicking the Optical drive set to the host CD player then enabling Pass-Through. Aside from that, I have no other ideas.

You could also web-search to see if this is a fixable problem with the game.