Windows 8.1 terminal resolution too low error

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
michaelbr5156
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 8.1 Pro

Windows 8.1 terminal resolution too low error

Post by michaelbr5156 »

I have the following OS/configuration:
host: MX Linux 19.4
guest: Windows 8.1 Pro
VB: 6.1
when I try to open a Windows terminal, got the error: screen resolution too low.
The screen resolution for my monitor is 1024X687, is this still too low?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 8.1 terminal resolution too low error

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
michaelbr5156 wrote:when I try to open a Windows terminal,
What "Windows terminal" are you referring to?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

michaelbr5156 wrote:when I try to open a Windows terminal, got the error: screen resolution too low.
I'd like to see a screenshot on that. Assuming that "Windows Terminal" means the Command Console (a.k.a. Command Prompt), I can't think of any reason why screen resolution would be relevant - that window does not have a fixed size requirement. It displays text rather than graphics, and if necessary it will have scrollbars, just like any other window that's too big for the monitor.

p.s. I assume that the display size you give is a typo, and you meant to say 1024x768.

Or does "Windows terminal" mean the VM display? It's quite possible that Windows 10 requires a display size of 1024x768 or better.
michaelbr5156

Post by michaelbr5156 »

mpack wrote:
michaelbr5156 wrote:when I try to open a Windows terminal, got the error: screen resolution too low.
I'd like to see a screenshot on that. Assuming that "Windows Terminal" means the Command Console (a.k.a. Command Prompt), I can't think of any reason why screen resolution would be relevant - that window does not have a fixed size requirement. It displays text rather than graphics, and if necessary it will have scrollbars, just like any other window that's too big for the monitor.

p.s. I assume that the display size you give is a typo, and you meant to say 1024x768.

Or does "Windows terminal" mean the VM display? It's quite possible that Windows 10 requires a display size of 1024x768 or better.
Please see the attached screenshot, 1-after running the command prompt, 2-screen size (it showed both 678 & 768, tried both still got the same error).
ps: the error came up when you put the cursor on the right upper corner of Windows guest a pop up menu will come up > click on searching glass (search) > in the search box enter terminal then ENTER > the error will come up.
Is it possible that VM understand I'm trying to run

Code: Select all

terminal
in Linux host instead of Windows client? I'm afraid I made a huge mistake, in Windows it's called command prompt and I entered terminal.
Attachments
VM_terminal21.png.jpg
VM_terminal21.png.jpg (30.06 KiB) Viewed 3271 times
VM_terminal11.png.jpg
VM_terminal11.png.jpg (25.26 KiB) Viewed 3271 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Your screenshots are almost too small to read the text. If forum file size limited your uploads, blanking out that solar system background to a solid color would probably have saved space in the picture, allowing a larger readable screenshot.

The 1024x687 screen size is the size of the VM window now.

I don't see the log file we need to tell what might be happening. There was a post above the one you full-quoted.
michaelbr5156

Post by michaelbr5156 »

scottgus1 wrote:Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
michaelbr5156 wrote:when I try to open a Windows terminal,
What "Windows terminal" are you referring to?
I'm afraid I made a mistake, in Windows it's called command prompt, maybe it's trying to run terminal from the host Linux? Please find attached the zipped log file.
ps: the error screenshot is in this post
Attachments
Win81-2021-05-06-18-37-44.log.zip
(28.59 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Thanks for your comment/suggestion. It's much appreciated.
Michael

Post by scottgus1 »

You do have Guest Additions installed. You should be able to drag the VM window to a new size or set it full-screen to be the same size as your host screen. Then the app should run.

When I type "terminal" on my Windows 10 host Start menu, the Command Prompt shows up. This might happen back in 8.1, too. I do not understand why the Command Prompt would complain about too small a screen.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

This looks like a known message in Windows 8.1. The command console apparantly insists on a 1024x768 display. So you need you need to adjust the VM display size if your laptop screen can cope with that.

Google for the precise error message, you'll find several hits. It is not a new limitation imposed by VirtualBox.
michaelbr5156

Post by michaelbr5156 »

scottgus1 wrote:You do have Guest Additions installed. You should be able to drag the VM window to a new size or set it full-screen to be the same size as your host screen. Then the app should run.

When I type "terminal" on my Windows 10 host Start menu, the Command Prompt shows up. This might happen back in 8.1, too. I do not understand why the Command Prompt would complain about too small a screen.
Understood, thanks again for your patience and explanation.
ps: one last question, if I can't edit my OP, how can I put solved on my OP? Do we have to bother your guys to do it?
Last edited by michaelbr5156 on 8. May 2021, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Post by michaelbr5156 »

mpack wrote:This looks like a known message in Windows 8.1. The command console apparantly insists on a 1024x768 display. So you need you need to adjust the VM display size if your laptop screen can cope with that.

Google for the precise error message, you'll find several hits. It is not a new limitation imposed by VirtualBox.
Understood, thanks again for your patience and explanation.
Michael

Post by scottgus1 »

michaelbr5156 wrote:if I can't edit my OP, how can I put solved on my OP?
No need to bother, that's not a really big thing on this forum.