[Solved] Win 8.1 Guest Additions failed install

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
michaelbr5156
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 8.1 Pro

[Solved] Win 8.1 Guest Additions failed install

Post by michaelbr5156 »

I tried to install Guest Additions to get shared folder working, when went to Devices > Insert Guest Additions CD image, nothing happened, am I missing some steps? According to this tutorial, this is the right way to do it, but in my case, nothing showed up, no message, no error, how can I troubleshoot it?
ps: sorry will post the link tomorrow (new user won't allow me), but the site is linuxshelltips
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Win 8.1 Guest Additions failed install

Post by mpack »

michaelbr5156 wrote:Devices > Insert Guest Additions CD image, nothing happened
Something did happen: the CD was inserted in the virtual drive, just like you asked.

What happens next depends on the guest OS and how you configured it. Back in the day (XP era) the OS would auto-run any suitably named executable found on a CD or USB stick you just inserted. Turns out that's a great way to spread malware, so these days that feature often defaults to off, meaning you have to browse to the CD manually and run the GAs installer (VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe).
michaelbr5156

Post by michaelbr5156 »

mpack wrote:
michaelbr5156 wrote:Devices > Insert Guest Additions CD image, nothing happened
Something did happen: the CD was inserted in the virtual drive, just like you asked.

What happens next depends on the guest OS and how you configured it. Back in the day (XP era) the OS would auto-run any suitably named executable found on a CD or USB stick you just inserted. Turns out that's a great way to spread malware, so these days that feature often defaults to off, meaning you have to browse to the CD manually and run the GAs installer (VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe).
Thanks for the tips, unfortunately the tutorial what I saw on the net showed GAs autostart, so I assumed it'll autostart, thanks for explaining it.
ps: why the edit button is not available on my original post? I'd like to mark it solved, but I can't edit it.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

michaelbr5156 wrote:why the edit button is not available on my original post?
New forum users need to build up some good forum 'karma' before Edit privileges are extended. It is nothing personal. It's what has to be done to keep more sophisticated spammers at bay.
michaelbr5156

Post by michaelbr5156 »

scottgus1 wrote:
michaelbr5156 wrote:why the edit button is not available on my original post?
New forum users need to build up some good forum 'karma' before Edit privileges are extended. It is nothing personal. It's what has to be done to keep more sophisticated spammers at bay.
Hmmm, this is weird, yesterday I edited one post to solved, but not this one. Thanks for edited it for me.
Thanks for your comment/suggestion. It's much appreciated.
Michael