[Solved] Trouble to install Windows 8.1 Pro as guest OS

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
michaelbr5156
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 8.1 Pro

[Solved] Trouble to install Windows 8.1 Pro as guest OS

Post by michaelbr5156 »

I have MX Linux 19.4 as host, and VB 6.1.14_Debian r140239, trying to install Windows 8.1 Pro, the install failed due to file reading error, is this the ISO file problem or I'm missing some adjustments to VB?
details of failure: used all defaults to create the VM, added the image ISO file, Windows setup started, start copying files then stopped, saying error reading files (please see the attached screenshot).
1) I've seen that previously some VB version 4 had issues installing Windows, not sure if this is the case.
2) Haven't seen a lot of postings for Windows 8.1, does it mean that the install is smooth or the opposite (to be avoided?)
3) I'm new to VM/VB, how can I troubleshoot the problem? Where should I start to look/read to solve my problem?

ps: 1) I've tried with 2 different Windows 8.1 ISO, and 1 XP, always had the reading error problem. Pretty sure that ages ago, when I was using mainly Windows, I've used the same CD to install Windows in dual boot.
2) The main reason for installing VB/Windows 8.1 is I'm using some Windows apps (Line, Adobe Digital Edition, etc.) which is only available in Windows, tried to use Wine, but Line does not work 100% (only chat works, audio does not work), and ADE failed to install in Wine. If there's an another solution/alternative, I'll be glad to hear it.
3) my Windows in dual boot crashed, so I can't access it any longer, if VB/VM works, I'll be glad to remove it from my dual boot install.

Here's a brief info about my configuration (given by MX Linux): sorry won't allow me to post the code, I'll try to post it tomorrow.
Attachments
VB1.png
VB1.png (65.44 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
Last edited by michaelbr5156 on 1. May 2021, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Trouble to install Windows 8.1 Pro as guest OS

Post by mpack »

That is a Windows error, not a VirtualBox error, so we can't give you any certainty here about the error meaning - only Microsoft can do that.

However, the first thing I'd check is that the ISO is valid. Where did it come from, and how did you transport it?
michaelbr5156
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 8.1 Pro

Re: Trouble to install Windows 8.1 Pro as guest OS

Post by michaelbr5156 »

mpack wrote:That is a Windows error, not a VirtualBox error, so we can't give you any certainty here about the error meaning - only Microsoft can do that.

However, the first thing I'd check is that the ISO is valid. Where did it come from, and how did you transport it?
Thanks, ISO was corrupted, downloaded a new one, it's working.