WIN 10 is irresponsive VS other Mechines! BSOD IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL - my school project is stuck!

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
OXB

WIN 10 is irresponsive VS other Mechines! BSOD IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL - my school project is stuck!

Post by OXB »

cant troubleshoot this and ive been stuck with it for hours, trying to every possible configuration on the vmbox interface but still its irresponsive VS other Mechines like server 16 or Kali Linux !

eventually results in BSOD: IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL

the win 10 guest iso was downloaded via "Windows-ISO-Downloader" from HeiDoc . net

With this tool and ive tried almost ALL of the versions from Microsoft and also specifically the image for my dell machine

The WIN 10 machine was assigned 3 and even 4 cpu cores and 4 gb , ive tried running the machine with or without 3d accelerate, nested paging, pae/nx, Hyper v, totally disabled the network and sound adapters, enabled EFI, and tried all the graphics controllers

My host is a well maintained and updated Win 10 Home on a Dell inspiron 7391 - i7-10k, with a intel nvme ssd and a Intel Optane module of 32 GB of (cache), + intel UHD "family" Graphics with the following specs:
8212MB total available graphics memory + 128 MB dedicated video memory + 8084MB shared system memory.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: WIN 10 is irresponsive VS other Mechines! BSOD IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL - my school project is stu

Post by scottgus1 »

OXB wrote:"Windows-ISO-Downloader" from HeiDoc . net
I'd use the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft, rather than someone else.
OXB wrote:the image for my dell machine
Big PC manufacturers lock their OS disks to the hardware of the PC, they won't work in a VM.

Windows 10 hosts have Hyper-V, even in Home, and Hyper-V many times interferes with Virtualbox. Please right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log.

Search the far left tab's log for this text:

Attempting fall back to NEM

If you find it, Hyper-V is enabled. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

If you don't find that text, save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

If you do find the Attempting text and get Hyper-V disabled, then try making a fresh new VM. Please get an ISO from the Media Creation Tool (log into the host as an admin to use the tool or it will fail some minutes into the run). Make a new 10 VM. Set processors to 2, regular RAM to 4GB, video RAM 128MB, no 3D acceleration for installation. Don't change any other hardware settings. After install, shut down the VM, set 3D acceleration on, max out Video RAM, restart the VM, install Guest Additions with 3D, disable Settings > Personalization > Colors > Transparency Effects in the VM.

Please report back what happens.
OXB

Re: WIN 10 is irresponsive VS other Mechines! BSOD IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL - my school project is stu

Post by OXB »

Hi Scott, Thank you for your time !

I will try your recommendations, after checking i did find "Attempting fall back to NEM" on the VM log as well i mentioned something that VT-X is not present,

I do want to mention 2 things !
1. my server 16 VM i had an issue where it wouldn't load even the installation, ive reviewed the configuration on the main VBOX window and i saw that Hyper V is not named among the System Accelerations section, the reason was that "para virtualization" option was set on Default so ive changed it to Hyper V and all of a sudden it was running like a race horse! so disabling Hyper V will have an effect on my other machine ( just tried it)

2. another thing i think it is important to mention is that My SSD has Intel Optane enabled ( kind of an AI that stores your usage in the 32 GB cache and utilizes the "3dxpoint" technology which is still in "diapers"

after this being said, do you still think its Hyper V that prevents the Win 10 VM from loading ? for my project i need both VMs running so they communicate with each other ):
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OXB wrote:my server 16 VM ... i saw that Hyper V is not named among the System Accelerations section, the reason was that "para virtualization" option was set on Default so ive changed it to Hyper V and all of a sudden it was running like a race horse!
This is good. "Paravirtualization" is a comm channel provided by modern virtualization-aware OS's to talk to whatever hypervisor they're running on. Paravirtualization is not the "Hyper-V" that blocks Virtualbox. All Windows VMs from Windows 7 onward, including 10, should have Paravirtualization set to "Hyper-V". (The "Default" setting on a Windows 7 & later VMs is "Hyper-V" under the hood, except for the 2016 and 2019 templates, which for some reason have "Default" set to "None". It comes up in the forum a lot, and when Paravirtualization is set to "Hyper-V" for 2016 & 2019, the VMs start running better.)

The "Hyper-V" that kills Virtualbox and causes the "Attempting fall back to NEM" and the green turtle is provided by the host Windows 10, and is present even without Virtualbox installed. This "Hyper-V" is not Paravirtualization. You want to stop the host's Hyper-V using the bcdedit command et al in the tutorial. After eliminating the green turtle and "Attempting...", you will still use Paravirtualization="Hyper-V" in the Windows VMs.
OXB wrote:My SSD has Intel Optane enabled
I am not certain how Optane will help/hinder the VM performance. I haven't heard anything about that one.
OXB

Post by OXB »

Qוuick update:

this issue is only exists on VMBox, Ive tried now with "VM work station" and it runs perfectly fine !
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

"VM work station" is probably "VMware Workstation", which is another company's program, and they may have different results.

Virtualbox ("VMBox") is working on getting to run under Hyper-V, but it's not all there yet.
OXB

Post by OXB »

Update

the latest VMbox update seem to SOLVE the issue WITHOUT fully disabling Host Hyper-V using the "bcdedit" command .