Microsoft mouse configuration

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Bob32

Microsoft mouse configuration

Post by Bob32 »

Issue on host (Win10 64) USB mouse when installing the new VirtualBox Guest Additions (6.1.20).
The driver VBoxMouse.sys (version of 2020/04/20) is not accepted by Windows, error code 52.
Then USB mouse is in error in the host device manager.
The only way to solve the issue is to unistall the VirtualBox Guest Additions.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Microsoft mouse configuration

Post by scottgus1 »

Bob32 wrote:Issue on host (Win10 64) USB mouse when installing the new VirtualBox Guest Additions
Are you trying to install the Guest Additions on the host OS?
Old_Rotating_Eq_Engineer

Post by Old_Rotating_Eq_Engineer »

The vboxmouse.sys driver or driver filter has been a problem with Windows a long time. I have Win10 Pro (19043.1237) recently installed on a new machine, and installed vbox (6.1.26) so to have a virtual machine. Seemed to work OK, except when I tried to shutdown with Remote Desktop. Then, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and vboxmouse.sys error in the BOSD. Nothing new there. I reverted to 6.0.10 (and the extension packs and guest additions that went with it) and the problem went away. It would seem this is a indication to Oracle that there is probably a change in vboxmouse.sys in the new version that could be cured by using the old version (depending on what it has to be able to do). You might try the same version that I did of vbox, just to get going.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

On my Windows 10 21H1 19043.1288 host with Virtualbox 6.1.26 and Extension Pack, there is no vboxmouse.sys file.

There is, on the other hand, a vboxmouse.sys that comes with Guest Additions, which is in the Windows VMs I have.

Guest Additions get installed in the guest, the VM - not the host. Otherwise they'd be called Host Additions. :D

So, does your host PC have a vboxmouse.sys in the Windows folder? Or is it the VM that has the vboxmouse.sys and the BSOD after RDP?