Windows 7 3D accelerations stops working / applications crashing

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Dennis214

Windows 7 3D accelerations stops working / applications crashing

Post by Dennis214 »

Hey everyone,

I'm running Windows 7 inside VirtualBox to play some games / use tools that work only for Windows 7. Since VirtualBox only supports 3D acceleration with vmsvga now I'm running into a weird issue, after a couple of hours all applications that utilize the GPU / 3d acceleration will crash and everything stops working until I reboot the guest. Reverting to older version of vbox which still allow the old VBoxVGA fixes the issue for me, nothing crashes even after days of uptime and everything is good, however it's not a solution for me - more as a temporary workaround.

I included the log files here from the vm, maybe you have some clues about what's going on. I had to zip both log files since they were too big for the website, couldn't upload them otherwise :(

Host System:
Ryzen 2700
64gb RAM
1tb nvme
nvidia GT 730 (latest drivers installed)
Windows 10
Attachments
vboxlog.zip
(109.2 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 7 3D accelerations stops working / applications crashing

Post by mpack »

You have enabled 3D acceleration and then only given it 39MB of graphics RAM. Is the VM settings dialog not complaining about this?

Your host has ~60GB RAM available, so I see no reason to be measly with the RAM allocations given to this VM. I'd increase VM RAM to 8GB. Increase graphics RAM to 256MB. Give it 2 CPU cores.

The only thing this VM has in abundence is disk space - you've given it 1TB of disk space, a huge amount for a single VM. I hope the host can afford that!
Dennis214

Re: Windows 7 3D accelerations stops working / applications crashing

Post by Dennis214 »

mpack wrote:You have enabled 3D acceleration and then only given it 39MB of graphics RAM. Is the VM settings dialog not complaining about this?

Your host has ~60GB RAM available, so I see no reason to be measly with the RAM allocations given to this VM. I'd increase VM RAM to 8GB. Increase graphics RAM to 256MB. Give it 2 CPU cores.

The only thing this VM has in abundence is disk space - you've given it 1TB of disk space, a huge amount for a single VM. I hope the host can afford that!
Even when i increase it to the maximum it will still crash, i tried to decrease it just for testing purpose but it dosent even affect performance or anything when i change the value here