Microsoft mouse configuration

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
pderocco

Microsoft mouse configuration

Post by pderocco »

I use Microsoft mice (nice simple mice with tails), and use the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center to configure them. This primarily includes redefining a middle (wheel) click as a left double-click, but also includes disabling that in programs like Google Earth where middle click is needed. Running Windows in a VM seems to make that impossible, as the MM&KC only works if it sees a Microsoft mouse, and it doesn't know what kind of mouse is connected in a VM. How have people dealt with reconfiguring mouse functionality in Windows guest VMs? (I'm running Win7 under Win10.)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Microsoft mouse configuration

Post by scottgus1 »

Generally, they haven't. The 'hardware' seen by the VM is virtual hardware not related to any physical hardware on the host OS, which includes the mouse. Though Virtualbox can simulate a plain PS/2 mouse or a USB tablet, these always are simulated as a generic plain-vanilla HID mouse in the VM. There is no setting to make the physical host mouse show through to the VM with its manufacturer and all capabilities, and still be available on the host OS.

One can pass a USB mouse into the VM through Virtualbox USB filters. But then the mouse would be locked inside the VM and not be available on the host OS. In this USB-filter case, you could use the mouse on the VM with its special software, but Mouse Integration would not work.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

pderocco wrote:the MM&KC only works if it sees a Microsoft mouse
All of the hardware in a VM is simulated, that is precisely what "Virtual" means.

If you have software that insists on particular hardware being present, and that hardware is not what the simulation provides, then that software will not run.
pderocco

Post by pderocco »

That's what I thought. I guess I'll try X-mouse.
nurbles

Post by nurbles »

Did you manage to get X-mouse to work? On Windows I have the wheel button configured for double-click. In a VirtualBox Windows 10 I cannot use Microsoft Mouse & Keyboard Center (as stated earlier in this thread) and I have been unable to get X-Mouse to redefine ANY mouse buttons or activities.

X-Mouse appears to be running, but not having any affect on the mouse.

FWIW, VirtualBox 6.1.26.r145957 (Qt5 6.2); Windows 10 Pro, 20H2; X-Mouse Button Control v2.19.2 (x64)