Windows 10 VM status set to "Aborted" occasionally

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jmestrada

Windows 10 VM status set to "Aborted" occasionally

Post by jmestrada »

Hello everyone! Thanks in advance for helping... One of my Windows 10 VMs - running on Ubuntu server 18.04 host - is set to status "Aborted" frequently. I tried to analyze VBox.log file but I couldn't find the issue so I'm opening up this topic and attaching the log file.

Please help me to solve this issue out.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(19.75 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 10 VM status set to "Aborted" occasionally

Post by scottgus1 »

Nothing seems odd in the log, normal operation. Headless start, which is normally just fine. The log just ... stops.
jmestrada wrote:One of my Windows 10 VMs - running on Ubuntu server 18.04 host
Are there other VMs on this host? If so, do any of them abort?
jmestrada

Post by jmestrada »

Thanks for helping, mate, I really appreciate it. There are 2 VMs on this same host, only this one is getting aborted occasionally. I think that the guest OS is causing the issues but I am not sure how to find out.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

jmestrada wrote:There are 2 VMs on this same host, only this one is getting aborted
That's telling. Probably the OS is having a glitch, but why the VM would just slam shut and not simply report the crash and close down normally is a question I can't answer.

A possible diagnostic step: Disconnect the VM's drive from the VM, but don't delete the VM or the drive. Add a new drive to the VM and reinstall the OS in the new drive. The OS should reactivate because it is still in the old VM. Set it up and try it, see if it stays stable.
jmestrada

Post by jmestrada »

Not sure if I understand clearly. Do you mean a clean reinstall in a new drive for the given VM? The VM is currently in production mode, I'm affraid I won't be able to do that.

Shouldn't be any other location for logs that I could check at? Thank you very much in advance for your kind attention and help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

jmestrada wrote:Do you mean a clean reinstall in a new drive for the given VM?
Yes. Save the old drive file and start fresh in the new drive file on the same VM.
jmestrada wrote:The VM is currently in production mode, I'm affraid I won't be able to do that.
I guess that all depends on how badly the crashing VM interferes with production and how annoyed your users get at lost data. :wink:
jmestrada wrote:Shouldn't be any other location for logs that I could check at?
There is a VboxSVC.log for the whole Virtualbox environment, in "C:\Users\{accountname}\.Virtualbox". But if other VMs stay up while this one aborts, then the problem is very likely in this VM not Virtualbox itself. You could try looking inside the VM's OS at its logs and event viewer.