cant install window server 2019 on virutalbox 6.1.18

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
lidor

cant install window server 2019 on virutalbox 6.1.18

Post by lidor »

hey everyone , new here .

just entered the field of it and im trying to set up a training lab for active directory in which i will create a dc and client Virutal machines using virtual box .

ok so i will sequence the events as follow : i downloaded the win 10 evaluation and win 2019 evaluating versions (iso files ) then i installed first of all the dc01 (window server 2019 ) but it was painfully slow so after the installition i turn off the machine then added 1 more cores and increased the ram to like ....4gram , then when i pressed start i get this message all the time since then - " guru medition error " etc ...it happen in the loading screen when you see the microsoft logo

i turn on virtualization in my bios etc but nothing work ..maybe i just have an old hardware host ...

my spec are : 8 gb ram

intel core i5 3.5GHZ

64bit operating system

also i will upload the logs in the attach .

if other files are necessary tell me and i will edit them .

thanks in advance .
Attachments
virtualbox.png
virtualbox.png (119.69 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
domain control -2021-04-08-13-44-34.zip
(51.46 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: cant install window server 2019 on virutalbox 6.1.18

Post by mpack »

Try using the Windows 2016 template. The 2019 template has a possible bug.

You also need to give the VM a second CPU core (no more).

Plus, you have Hyper-v enabled so performance will be bad.
00:00:08.504028 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:08.562726 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).
lidor

Post by lidor »

thanks alot (: , the template change advice worked - changed it to the 2016 ver . but god its so slow ..... i have another question if you dont mind :

in the setting section on the virtual machine - its said processors not cores .....if i increase it to 2 or more is it mean that i have 2 CPUs or 2 cores ? - yeah yeah i know its a stupid question but im new here so give me a break haha .
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Set it to 2 CPUs - not more. (I object to the lax use of the term CPU in the VM settings. Multiple "central" processors makes no sense to me. vCPUs is more acceptable, as is processors. Cores says exactly what I mean).

And the slowness was predicted: note what I said about Hyper-v
lidor

Post by lidor »

yeah i understand what you said about the hyper v needed to be disabled - look at my attachment , its already disabled . the only thing i enabled is the intel virualization tech in the bios .

i will try to increase the "cpu" number to 2 as you suggest .

thanks ill keep you updated
Attachments
vm 2.png
vm 2.png (44.8 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

That is a pretty ambitious project for someone new to vms. There are lots of pitfalls with AD without the distractions of vms. Have you ever done any work with AD? How many domain vms do you expect to run on a host with 8G RAM? I would think just the DC!

Removing all the Hyper-V components does not automatically mean the the hypervisor is not loading. Did you read the post you were referred to? If you still have the green turtle or you still see the Attempting to fall back to NEM in your log, it still is.
Bill