Windows 95 Guest Additions and Internet

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Saku20114

Windows 95 Guest Additions and Internet

Post by Saku20114 »

Hello. I'm pretty new to VirtualBox and virtual machines as a whole. I'm really using it just to see what I can run on different virtual operating systems. I'm having a bit of a problem with installing Guest Additions on Windows 95. I get the prompt to install it, and mid-way through the installation, it says that it is incompatible with the operating system. On different videos I've seen using virtual machines, people have been able to run Windows 95 with Guest Additions and use shared folders and such. I'm also having a problem with the Internet on all of my virtual machines. It seems, no matter what I try, it never works. I'm able to access some sites (i.e. Google, MSN), but it always disconnects when I enter a Google redirect link or type any link into the address bar. It also doesn't work with any HT TPS websites. I've tried all of the tips on the disconnected page, but none of them seem to work. It's always a 128-bit secure connection (Windows 2000 shows 56-bit), always on LAN. I've tried NAT, Bridged Adapter, and every adapter in the advanced tabs. I've tried running network troubleshooting on both the host and guest. I will show the screenshots once I'm permitted to.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 95 Guest Additions and Internet

Post by mpack »

There are no Guest Additions for Win95 in VirtualBox, and there never have been. You have never seen anyone successfully installing VirtualBox GAs in Win95.

Only NT variants of Windows have GAs (NT4, Win2K, XP, Vista, etc).

Win95 also is very early days for Internet. The Netscape browser was popular at the time, IE4 existed too - but there's no way that either of these will understand modern websites. Back then it was basic html - no https, css, javascript et all. And even the html support was primitive.

You can't really expect to find a modern Internet browser on anything older than XP, and even with XP they are very hard to find and poorly supported. You have to go to Win7 (itself over a decade old) to have a more or less free choice of browsers.