Win 10 Guest Additions failed to reinstall

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
sole

Win 10 Guest Additions failed to reinstall

Post by sole »

Hi,

I had Guest Addition working well on my VBox.

Accidentally, I initiated uninstall Guest Additions. Now it can not install again.
Something is messed up, probably by my error. I tried first to cancel uninstall, then tried to reinstall it without reboot. Then again with reboot. Many times
Tried to switch off 3D acceleration, tried compatibility with win 7/8, all failed.

Attached are full details copied from error dialog box.

I think important part is this:
----------------------------------------------
Installing driver ...
INF-File: C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxWddm.inf
(1) ENTER: DriverPackageInstallW
(1) Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxWddm.inf' (Plug and Play).
(1) ERROR: 3 - Could not open file C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxwddm.inf_amd64_acb1c9f5d34e81cc\vboxwddm.inf.
(3) ERROR: 1006 - PnP Install failed.
(1) Attempting to rollback ...
(1) No devices to rollback
(1) Successfully removed '{7d2c708d-c202-40ab-b3e8-de21da1dc629}' from reference list of driver store entry 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxwddm.inf_amd64_acb1c9f5d34e81cc\vboxwddm.inf'
(1) RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0x3EE)
ERROR (000003ee): The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid.
Execution returned exit code: 2
Error excuting ""C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxDrvInst.exe" driver install "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxWddm.inf" "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\install_drivers.log"" (exit code: 2) -- aborting installation
Error excuting ""C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxDrvInst.exe" driver install "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxWddm.inf" "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\install_drivers.log"" (exit code: 2) -- aborting installation
----------------------------------------------

Help, please.

sole
Attachments
error3.txt
(4.67 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Win 10 Guest Additions failed to reinstall

Post by scottgus1 »

The apparent error causing the trouble is:
(1) Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxWddm.inf' (Plug and Play).
(1) ERROR: 3 - Could not open file C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxwddm.inf_amd64_acb1c9f5d34e81cc\vboxwddm.inf.
ERROR (000003ee): The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid.
I have no idea how to fix that... :shock:

I believe that the Guest Additions installer, like the Virtualbox installer, is really a Microsoft program that works with the Windows MSI installer database. it appears you have enabled MSI* logging, if that is an MSI log. If not, web-search how to enable MSI logging then truy the install again.

Also see these links:
socratis wrote: Basic troubleshooting steps for Windows Installer.

I have two other links to suggest. See also if you have any corrupted MSI database files:
sole

Post by sole »

Hi,

Thank you for trying to help.
I tried all your suggestions, but nothing worked.

The problem seems to be related to WDDM driver install. It is very strange, since on first installation everything worked fine. I've got into trouble only after I uninstalled Guest Additions by mistake. It seems that uninstall was not clean and some leftovers are making problems to new install. I even tried to delete the Additions folder in "Program Files\Oracle\", but it didn't help. There must be something in Windows Registry left, but I don't know what to look at.

Best regards,

sole
sole

Post by sole »

Hi,

What they call "Windows Troubleshooting" is only the longest path to "Reinstall".

I decided to reset Windows 10. It worked. It cleaned up the registry mess, removed all my apps and kept all my files in place.

Thanks again and best regards.

sole
forcedfx

Post by forcedfx »

I know I'm late but I had the same error and was able to fix it by going in to C:\Program Files\Oracle\Virtual Box Guest Additions and right clicking on all of the .inf files and selecting install from the context menu. The I re-ran the installation and it worked.
Striek

Post by Striek »

forcedfx wrote:I know I'm late but I had the same error and was able to fix it by going in to C:\Program Files\Oracle\Virtual Box Guest Additions and right clicking on all of the .inf files and selecting install from the context menu. The I re-ran the installation and it worked.
Created an account to post and confirm that the above worked for me as well. In my case, while uninstalling the additions, the display froze and I had to guess as to when it was time to reset the machine, and the uninstall failed to complete because of that.

Thanks!
Goodwin

Post by Goodwin »

forcedfx wrote: 22. Nov 2021, 17:13 I know I'm late but I had the same error and was able to fix it by going in to C:\Program Files\Oracle\Virtual Box Guest Additions and right clicking on all of the .inf files and selecting install from the context menu. The I re-ran the installation and it worked.
Thank you, this did it for mee too. I have previously tried to remove all the previous traces of virtualbox giuest additions like described in https://superuser.com/questions/1212182 ... 17#1258517 but still it did not help, only after the manual installation of all inf files (the file VBoxVideo.inf brought an error during this action, the installation of the file VBoxWddm.inf caused an immediate change in the virtual Windows guest window size, the other 2 inf-file installations - VBoxGuest.inf and VBoxMouse.inf - ended with the message the action has been executed successfully) I made an repeated installation of the additions (without uninstall) by starting the file VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe as a normal user and now everything is working like expected.

Thanks a lot for this idea!!!