Cannot create Windows 10 machine on Mint LMDE4 logs are blank and I am stumped!

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
WBoxMan

Cannot create Windows 10 machine on Mint LMDE4 logs are blank and I am stumped!

Post by WBoxMan »

Hi all,

I seemed to have lost the ability to use Virtual box after having no issues for sometime. I have seen many threads regarding NS_ERROR_FAILURE and how hard it is to diagnose. I tried messing around with it but gave up. I had most of my files in my shared folder with my host OS so it was not too troublesome to start over. My problem now is that even after a full purge of VirtualBox and trying to create a new machine fresh I get the same error. I do not have anything listed in the log. I assumed there was something up with my install so I already deleted my vdi file which sucks since it appears that was not the root cause of the issue. I am pretty much out of ideas at this point

so in trying to setup my new machine. I downloaded the windows10 64 bit iso from microsoft. I then create a machine using half the specs of my machine which is a laptop.

I have an i7 with 12 cores and 32GB of memory and GTX 1060m. The machine fails to do much of anything before kicking off the error below.

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows.

The virtual machine 'Windows' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}
WBoxMan

Re: Cannot create Windows 10 machine on Mint LMDE4 logs are blank and I am stumped!

Post by WBoxMan »

Anyone have any ideas?

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/1 ... al-machine
this is what I have been following.

I got nothing here.... What broke my virtual box. I had months of functional VM now nothing
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Cannot create Windows 10 machine on Mint LMDE4 logs are blank and I am stumped!

Post by scottgus1 »

I've not seen a solid answer for this one yet. Try web-searching

"Linux Hosts" NS_ERROR_FAILURE "exit code 1" site:forums.virtualbox.org

Several topics come up, one could help your situation.
WBoxMan

Post by WBoxMan »

So I did a purge with sudo apt purge virtualbox-*

I then downloaded from the website the package for my distro Debian 10 buster. I get the following. I have seen post referencing this error before but none of the solutions appear to work. I try running the /sbin/vboxconfig but it wont run either complaining about the headers.

So I was able to get my headers installed by running

Code: Select all

sudo apt install linux-headers-`uname -r`
I then reinstalled virtualbox and I still get the crash. No errors on the install. I tried running both

/sbin/vboxconfig
and

modprobe vboxdrv
I do not get any errors or warnging. Still nothing in the logs!!!

are my VM days over?

my error that is immediate

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows-10.

The virtual machine 'Windows-10' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}