USB Scanner isn't functional in VM

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Squeeky

USB Scanner isn't functional in VM

Post by Squeeky »

VirtualBox VM 6.1.18 r142142 win.amd64
Host: Win10 20H2 10.0.19042 ; 32 GB RAM (before allocation to VM)
Guest: Win7 Ultimate x64 (w/Guest Additions); 1 CPU and 6 GB RAM allocated to Guest
Logs: VBox.log and VBoxHardening.log are attached (in zipped files)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600X; Motherboard: ASUS Strix B550-F (WiFi) Gaming

My USB scanner is a Visioneer Xerox DocuMate 262; this is a sheet-fed desktop ADF; it is not a flatbed. The scanner lacks Win10 drivers, so I have set up a VM with Win7 for the sole purpose of using the scanner with it. (This is my first experience with VMs; prior to creating a VM, I have been using the scanner via a Win7 OS installed on a separate drive, which I boot to when needed.)

I have installed the scanner driver and all of the related software in the VM. I set up a device filter for the scanner, and when the VM starts, the VM seizes the scanner, and the scanner is properly seen in the VM device manager (and no longer appears in the Win10 device manager). When I look at the scanner in the device manager of the VM, it reports "This device is working properly." If the scanner is on when the VM starts, the initialization of the VM will cause the lights on the scanner to cycle, confirming the connection between the scanner and the VM. If I turn the scanner off and on, I hear the audible device "disconnect" and "connect" sounds associated with unplugging/plugging any other device in Windows.

Unfortunately, the scanner doesn't work in the VM. When I try to initiate a scan via the VM, the progress bar starts (in the VM, just above the tray), but it stops at 80% and nothing happens (the scan doesn't physically begin). And perhaps 30 seconds later, I will receive a pop-up error message in the middle of the screen, which states "DMD262": Driver is Busy ...", and then, another 30 seconds after that, the first popup will be destroyed, and I will see a 2nd one, which advises "DMD262": Hardware internal fault ..." [I reiterate that it works fine when installed on Win7 on a separate drive ... i.e., no VM, so I question that the scanner actually has a hardware fault. As nearly as I can tell, everything is installed correctly (I have a lot of experience with the scanner and its software, just not in a VM; as a test, I uninstalled and then reinstalled all of the scanner drivers and software; no difference.)]

I had some concern that my USB ports might not be configured correctly. However, as a test, I attached a Brother laser printer (also a USB device) to the VM, and successfully (and easily) printed the Windows Printer Test Page. All of my other testing (playing?) with the VM works as expected.

As a newbie, I have limited knowledge (though I have been searching for answers). I would welcome some guidance.
Attachments
VBox.log Windows 7-2021-03-15-01-50-58.zip
(27.65 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
VBoxHardening.log Windows 7-2021-03-15-01-50-59.zip
(25.98 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: USB Scanner isn't functional in VM

Post by scottgus1 »

Your hardening log exit code is 0, so no hardening problems.

A couple of things to try:

Hyper-V is enabled. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

Also, try two processors in the VM. Windows 7 may run better on 2.

If these things don't fix the scanner, please post a new vbox.log.
Squeeky

Post by Squeeky »

Thank you for your suggestions.

I implemented both (I now have a "V" icon instead of a turtle, and I have 2 CPUs in the VM). I used the same hard disk file. As you would expect, the VM is much, much faster. I view this as significant progress.

Unfortunately, however, it didn't fix my scanner issue (I still receive the same 2 error messages, and the scanner never actually begins the scan). As you requested, I have attached a new VBox.log.
Attachments
VBox.log Windows 7 2-2021-03-19-15-25-00.zip
(30.7 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I still don't see anything weird. The log starts and ends in a save-state. Better to start from and end with full shutdown, for more diagnostic info.

However, there don't seem to be any problems with the USB setup. Could be timing troubles due to running real hardware from a VM. With a new log from full shutdown to full shutdown, other eyes might see a problem.
Squeeky

Post by Squeeky »

Though the scanner still doesn't work (same 2 error messages, beginning with "The driver is busy ..."), here are new logs reflecting 2 changes:
  • I attached the scanner to a different USB port
  • I did a full shutdown, and the VBox.log now begins with "start" and ends with full "shutdown".
Thank you for your help.
Attachments
VBox.log Win7 2-2021-03-21-12-14-53.zip
(30.15 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
VBoxHardening.log Win7 2-2021-03-21-12-31-23.zip
(25.72 KiB) Downloaded 6 times