Need help!! How Can I Change Default NIC Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter to Realtek GbE Family

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
GeorgeCoder

Need help!! How Can I Change Default NIC Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter to Realtek GbE Family

Post by GeorgeCoder »

Hello Everyone,

I was using Vmware and new to VirtualBox before, it is lucky for me to find this forum to learn new things.
Here I had a question nee to get help from you dudes:
I had installed a Win10 guest in the Win10 host and the NIC is " Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter" as default currently, it works well, but I would like to change the "name" of the NIC to the new name "Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller", please, I need a new name only rather than changing to another new NIC.

However, I modified all the values from "Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter " to "Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller" in the registry, and "new named" NIC works fine and shows new name correctly in the device manager. BUT BUT BUT unfortunately, the system gives the original name "Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter " in the PCI PnP network device when scanning it by AIDA64, this does mean some old information still stay in the system, this is not what I want.
Can any dude help me find out where the old information remains? how to fix it? Or is there any existing topic solved already in the forum, please let me know?

Thanks in advance.
GeorgeCoder
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Need help!! How Can I Change Default NIC Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter to Realtek GbE Family

Post by mpack »

A virtual machine uses virtual (simulated) hardware. The hardware of some other PC, i.e. your host, is irrelevant.

If you are trying to frig a VM so that some software thinks it's not a VM then you can forget it: there are too many ways to tell that it's a VM.

And yes, hacks to the guest OS registry can change how the guest OS describes the hardware to the user, it cannot change the actual hardware. I don't know why you would expect it to.
GeorgeCoder

Re: Need help!! How Can I Change Default NIC Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter to Realtek GbE Family

Post by GeorgeCoder »

mpack wrote:A virtual machine uses virtual (simulated) hardware. The hardware of some other PC, i.e. your host, is irrelevant.

If you are trying to frig a VM so that some software thinks it's not a VM then you can forget it: there are too many ways to tell that it's a VM.
thank you for your reply.
I am sure there is no NIC named "Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter" used in my host.
for example, my host NIC "Qualcomm Atheros AR5BMD222 wireless network adapter" is used for guest NAT.
I think I had located the device name, but how to modify it, please.
PCIe.jpg
PCIe.jpg (50.55 KiB) Viewed 5554 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I've told you that the hardware of your host is not relevant, so why are you still telling me about that?

In the recipe of your VM you can configure any simulation provided by VirtualBox. Realtek GBE is not in the list of available NIC simulations.

You can't rename the hardware. If you succeeded then Windows would no longer have drivers for it (the Realtek drivers would not work because its totally the wrong chipset).
GeorgeCoder

Post by GeorgeCoder »

mpack wrote:I've told you that the hardware of your host is not relevant, so why are you still telling me about that?

In the recipe of your VM you can configure any simulation provided by VirtualBox. Realtek GBE is not in the list of available simulations.

You can't rename the hardware. If you succeeded then Windows would no longer have drivers for it.
Bro, I think I mentioned at the beginning, said "please, I need a new name only rather than changing to another new NIC.", it is nothing with hardware or another stimulated virtual hardware.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

As I said, you can't "rename" the hardware in any meaningful way (the text displayed to a user is meaningless). At least not without modifying and rebuilding the VirtualBox source code (you'll need a developers digital signature), and writing your own Windows device drivers.

Perhaps you should talk about what you are trying to achieve, rather than how you believe you need to achieve it.
GeorgeCoder

Post by GeorgeCoder »

Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter is one of the VNC (Virtual Network Card) which Virtual Box embedded.
for some other reason, I would prefer to rename this VNC card, make the identical VNC names various with VMs.
I had successfully renamed it in the device manager but still failed to change its virtual name, refer to the photo,
VNC.jpg
VNC.jpg (92.33 KiB) Viewed 5506 times
Am I make things clear, let us discuss it.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

That is completely internal to the Windows OS inside the guest, so nothing where Virtualbox is involved.
You probably can get more help in a Windows specific forum.
Also even if you manage to change the "name" of the adapter it would still have the same technical parameters of the Intel NIC. It could still be identifeid as Intel adapter by the PCI vendor/device id, the network card driver and other unique features.
There is no implementationn of a virtual Realtek NIC for VirtualBox.
GeorgeCoder

Re: Need help!! How Can I Rename for Default NIC Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter to Realtek GbE Fa

Post by GeorgeCoder »

Hi Martin,
Martin wrote:That is completely internal to the Windows OS inside the guest, so nothing where Virtualbox is involved.
You probably can get more help in a Windows specific forum.
Also even if you manage to change the "name" of the adapter it would still have the same technical parameters of the Intel NIC. It could still be identifeid as Intel adapter by the PCI vendor/device id, the network card driver and other unique features.
There is no implementationn of a virtual Realtek NIC for VirtualBox.
You are right on "It could still be identifeid as Intel adapter by the PCI vendor/device id, the network card driver and other unique features."
What I want is just a different name from the default Virtual Network Card(Adapter),.
Possibly we need to modify the device description of "PCI vendor/device id " where the motherboard of the VirtualBox Guest?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Lest we go into an "XY problem", please state why you need the adapter to be called by a different name. Not just, "I want it", but "why I want it".
GeorgeCoder

Post by GeorgeCoder »

scottgus1 wrote:Lest we go into an "XY problem", please state why you need the adapter to be called by a different name. Not just, "I want it", but "why I want it".
Hello scottgus1,

I built this VM for the experiment of testing "anti-virtual" detector scripts, the scripts list some key points to measure the target, one point is about NIC, VMWARE NETWORK, Intel PRO/1000 MT *** are in the listed points.
I can completely change "VMware network card" into "Realtek *** " if I was using Vmware guest, now I am trying the VirtualBox.
Initially, I guessed I will pass the test if my VM lists my devices in the device manager as they are physical machines, so I just modify all the "Intel PRO/1000 ***" in the registry, in this way the device manager shows the different name of NIC card, and yes, I managed.
But the test scripts still tells me my VM is not a "physical machine", and I scanned it again via AIDIA64, the tool gave me the answer as the picture shown in above.

and now, need a solution to remove “Intel PRO/1000 **** ” from the VM system.
Martin
Volunteer

Post by Martin »

Are you sure that these tests verify only the text of the adapter name?
A very easy way to remove the Intel Adapter is to remove the virutal adapter completely. :mrgreen:
GeorgeCoder

Post by GeorgeCoder »

Martin wrote:Are you sure that these tests verify only the text of the adapter name?
A very easy way to remove the Intel Adapter is to remove the virutal adapter completely. :mrgreen:
Hi Martin,

Thank you for giving me a "good" idea :lol: :lol: :lol: .
I hope I could be able to install a third-party NIC except those embedded types.
Martin
Volunteer

Post by Martin »

Virtualbox only has these virtual network adapters implemented:
  • AMD PCNet PCI II (Am79C970A)
  • AMD PCNet FAST III (Am79C973)
  • Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM)
  • Intel PRO/1000 T Server (82543GC)
  • Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (82545EM)
  • Paravirtualized network adapter (virtio-net
I haven't seen anyone providing an extension pack with the implementation of other virtual NICs.
GeorgeCoder

Post by GeorgeCoder »

Martin wrote:Virtualbox only has these virtual network adapters implemented:
  • AMD PCNet PCI II (Am79C970A)
  • AMD PCNet FAST III (Am79C973)
  • Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM)
  • Intel PRO/1000 T Server (82543GC)
  • Intel PRO/1000 MT Server (82545EM)
  • Paravirtualized network adapter (virtio-net
I haven't seen anyone providing an extension pack with the implementation of other virtual NICs.
CORRECT!
I believe there are yet ways to remove this or replace the embedded Virtual cards.