Need help!! How Can I Change Default NIC Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter to Realtek GbE Family

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Need help!! How Can I Change Default NIC Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter to Realtek GbE Family

Post by mpack »

GeorgeCoder wrote: I believe there are yet ways to remove this or replace the embedded Virtual cards.
Of course there are - but you will have to do the necessary software development yourself.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Need help!! How Can I Change Default NIC Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter to Realtek GbE Family

Post by scottgus1 »

There is nothing in the GUI or vboxmanage commands to change these names. You'll have to edit Virtualbox's source code to change the adapter type.

Note that if you change the adapter type to defeat the anti-virtual-machine script, then release this into the wild, the script writers will add your added device to the script. Arms race begins...
GeorgeCoder

Post by GeorgeCoder »

scottgus1 wrote:There is nothing in the GUI or vboxmanage commands to change these names. You'll have to edit Virtualbox's source code to change the adapter type.

Note that if you change the adapter type to defeat the anti-virtual-machine script, then release this into the wild, the script writers will add your added device to the script. Arms race begins...
Welcome Scott,

Agree with you. for long-term effect, we will need an interface for chaning NIC name freely.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

That interface would need to be in Windwos, VirtualBox doesn't do anything to the way Microsoft handles hardware detection and selecting the correct drivers for the hardware.
This is all completely internal to the (guest) OS. The device name comes from the driver packages for the hardware.

(and as soon that there is a tool to easily change a device name, the detection checks would be changed not to rely on the name...)
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Martin wrote: (and as soon that there is a tool to easily change a device name, the detection checks would be changed not to rely on the name...)
I very much doubt that they rely on something so simply faked already. They will do a number of checks and vote the results.

I also doubt that a script is involved. A script can simply be modified.