Ubuntu Host/Windows10 Guest: No audio volume

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
SterlingButters

Ubuntu Host/Windows10 Guest: No audio volume

Post by SterlingButters »

Greetings,

Using Version 6.1.10_Ubuntu r138449 and a Windows 10 (raw disk) guest, I am unable to get the volume to come through to my host. I have installed and reinstalled the guest additions several times and messed around with the Audio Host Driver and Controller but to no avail. I have seen similar issues in other forums but in most cases Windows does not recognize that any audio device is attached or the driver is not installed - and I can see that neither is the case for me. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue or are aware of some things I could try.

All help is much appreciated - thanks in advance

EDIT: Swtiched to v6.16 with same issue...
Applicable log entries:

Code: Select all

00:00:00.850808 Audio: Initializing PulseAudio driver
00:00:00.852240 PulseAudio: Using v13.99.0
00:00:00.852552 PulseAudio: Failed to connect to server: Connection refused
00:00:00.852591 PulseAudio: Retrieving server information ...
00:00:00.852594 PulseAudio: Server information not available, skipping enumeration
SOLVED:
Not sure what exactly the exact solution was but I played around some with permissions/ownership and got it to work (all files in VM folder are same ownership now)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Ubuntu Host/Windows10 Guest: No audio volume

Post by scottgus1 »

Just to let you know, any version with "_Ubuntu" in it is Ubuntu's fork of Virtualbox, not official Virtualbox from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads. Ubuntu supports their fork, we handle the official version.

Permissions seems to be a pretty common Linux thing, Glad you're up and running.
DigitizedMe

Post by DigitizedMe »

Sterling, hopefully you are still hanging around these forums! I'm having the same issue withe pulseaudio according to my logs.

Using rawdisk. Ubuntu host has sound. Windows 10 guest is creating audio in the VM, and all looks well in device manager. That audio is not coming through to Ubuntu host.

What ownership and permissions did you set on the VM directory?

Thank you!
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

VirtualBox 6.1.24 contains extensive changes related to the audio functionality. If you have audio problems, please use VirtualBox 6.1.24 or newer.