Clipboard Problems in 1.4.0

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
rgesswein

Clipboard Problems in 1.4.0

Post by rgesswein »

I'm getting sporadic corruption when using the clipboard and am wondering if anyone else has run across the problem and might have a solution.

-- I'm running Windows XP host and guest.
-- The clipboard is set to bidirectional.
-- When corruption occurs on the host side, I get garbled hi-end ascii text when pasting from either the guest or even copy and paste within the host itself.
-- When corruption occurs on the guest side, the guest locks up and I have to force a shutdown of the entire guest console through the host task manager.
-- The problem seems to start only after resuming from a saved state (although this may just be coincidence.)
-- When I shut down VirtualBox completely the problem on the host side is corrected. (I suspect this is unloading of the clipboard monitoring library.)

I'll play around some more, but does anyone whose had this problem find that enabling the clipboard in one direction only solve the problem? If so, which direction.

I also see someone posted a similar problem running under a Linux host, so this might suggest the problem is on the guest side.

Thanks -- Robert
karu

Post by karu »

I have the same problem. Guest win2000 host Linux Ubuntu 7.04
I always have to shut down the guest win2000 to be able to use copy and past.
Has anybody any solution?
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

I have tried to reproduce this but so far without any success. Could you please provide a more precise recipe for this? Information about your hardware would also be of interest.
karu

Post by karu »

Hello Michael,
my hardware is:
Processor Unknown CPU Typ (AMD 2800XP)
Memory 1035MB (641MB used)
Operating System Ubuntu 7.04
Display Resolution 1152x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer GeForce FX 5200/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Audio Adapter MPU-401 UART - MPU-401 UART
Audio Adapter NFORCE - NVidia nForce2

If you need more info, please tell me.

I to discover when the problem starts e.g.:
open openoffice writer in hoste, copy, paste is no problem
open guest Win2000, copy and paste in host is still no problem :)
open writer in guest, copy and paste in guest works
copy and paste from guest to haost works, but copy and past in the host system gives me "ŸŸRVER=\\UBUNTUUSER" or "Ÿ#Ÿ#RVER=\\UBUNTUUSER" :(
closing guest --> everything works fine.
This copy and past problem happens with all aplications e.g. writer, terminal, copy from firefox, ...
So the problem stats with the first copy and past in the guest system
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

A couple of things you might try:

* disable any clipboard managers you have running
* try with the development (SVN) version of VirtualBox
rlebrette

Post by rlebrette »

Hi,

I encounter the same kind of problem.
The clipboard seems to be broken, I can say that it's not relative to the start from a stopped vm, since it raises even with a just started up VM.
I don't see what could be the cause, it works fine for minutes even for hours, and the problem arises.
On the host, any copy/cut - paste produces some special characters. On the guest side, the same but when I try to reboot I get the message that the VirtualClipboard process can't be stopped.

What do you think?
plenque

Post by plenque »

Same problem here but using Ubuntu Feisty as the host.
I'll try the SVN version.
Ghodmode

Maybe corrected with "Host to Guest"

Post by Ghodmode »

I'm having the same problem. However, if I set the Shared Clipboard to "Host to Guest" on the Advanced tab of the General options, the problem seems to go away.
rlebrette

Re: Maybe corrected with "Host to Guest"

Post by rlebrette »

Ghodmode wrote:I'm having the same problem. However, if I set the Shared Clipboard to "Host to Guest" on the Advanced tab of the General options, the problem seems to go away.
I tried this workaround and I agree it seems to be more stable.
rlebrette

Post by rlebrette »

I've just installed the latest VB 1.5 release, and re-enabled the bi-directionnal clipboard.
And I still get problem, I dug deeper to find what's wrong. It seems I reproduce each time I use a Java program, IDE like NetBeans/Eclipse.
May be it could help to find a workaround, I know that Java handles specifically the clipboard.

Hope it helps.
Ghodmode

Post by Ghodmode »

rlebrette wrote:I've just installed the latest VB 1.5 release, and re-enabled the bi-directionnal clipboard.
And I still get problem, I dug deeper to find what's wrong. It seems I reproduce each time I use a Java program, IDE like NetBeans/Eclipse.
May be it could help to find a workaround, I know that Java handles specifically the clipboard.

Hope it helps.
I'm not using any Java programs, but I still experience the problem. I have found that, if I close all of my Windows programs, then re-open the one I want to use, the problem goes away for a little while.