Windows 98 se, on windows 10 host

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Pappy1958

Windows 98 se, on windows 10 host

Post by Pappy1958 »

Here's my problem,
I have Oracle VM 7 on my laptop, the system is running Windows 10, (pro) 64 bit.

I could not get the VM to see the DVD drive, (but the host system could read it)

So I had a look on here and seen I should install the Guest Additions,
I downloaded the said addition, and thats where my prob is. the error message is a bit long-winded sorry.

Guest addition installed at,
C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions

I think all went ok until the line - Extract: C:\Windows\system32\VBoxHook.dll... 100%

After that it came up with the following message,
Installing drivers ...
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions
Installing guest driver ...
Executing: "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxDrvInst.exe" driver install "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxGuest.inf" "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\install_drivers.log"
Installing driver ...
INF-File: C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxGuest.inf
(1) ENTER: DriverPackageInstallW
(1) Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxGuest.inf' (Plug and Play).
(1) Looking for Model Section [VBoxGuest.NTamd64]...
(1) No matching devices found in INF "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_c50a273df32834ff\vboxguest.inf" on the Machine.
(1) No drivers installed. No devices found that match driver(s) contained in 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_c50a273df32834ff\vboxguest.inf'.
(1) RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0xE000020B)
ERROR (e000020b): Unknown error!

Execution returned exit code: 2
Error excuting ""C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxDrvInst.exe" driver install "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxGuest.inf" "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\install_drivers.log"" (exit code: 2) -- aborting installation
Error excuting ""C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxDrvInst.exe" driver install "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxGuest.inf" "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\install_drivers.log"" (exit code: 2) -- aborting installation
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 98 se, on windows 10 host

Post by scottgus1 »

Pappy1958 wrote:I could not get the VM to see the DVD drive, (but the host system could read it)

So I had a look on here and seen I should install the Guest Additions,
Here's a bigger problem: there are no Guest Additions for 98. Which explains the error you're getting. Guest Additions only work on NT-based Windows (NT & 2000 onwards) not on 9x-based systems.
Pappy1958 wrote:I could not get the VM to see the DVD drive, (but the host system could read it)
The fix for this does not require Guest Additions. This ability is a fundamental part of the VM's Optical Drive, its CD drive.

Does your 98 "My Computer" window show a CD drive? If so, in the main Virtualbox window, click the 98 VM in the left-side VM list. The settings for the VM will show on the right side. Click the words "Optical Drive" and a popup menu will appear. If the host has a CD drive, the words "Host Drive" will be in the menu. Click "Host Drive". The VM should now see whatever CD disc is in the host drive. (I'm not sure about DVD's, 98 might not understand them.)
Pappy1958

Post by Pappy1958 »

Thanks for the help scottgus1,
No optical drive on the 98 VM showing, so a little baffled as way back when 98 was the norm, it did have a optical drive,
(dont remember if it could read DVDs though)
The My Computer in the 98 VM does show an A and B drive though, neither of those are part of the system.

Is there any workaround for the optical drive issue?
reason I would like to get this working it to run a few old games, eg Myst and Tex Murphy series of games
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

No, AIR there were no DVD drives in the Win98 era. DVD-video came in around 2000. DVD-data would have arrived some time after that.

But none of that necessarily means that Win98 would care. As far as I know a guest OS always sees the virtual optical drive as generic, with no max size (within reason).

You haven't provided enough information on your DVD to speculate much on your problem. There were many forms of DVD drive, not all of which are readable by default in a PC.
Pappy1958

Post by Pappy1958 »

Thanks for the input Mpack,
The DVD part isnt my prob, the old games i have are all on CD, just need to get the 98 VM to see the drive in the laptop
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Pappy1958 wrote:No optical drive on the 98 VM showing
Virtualbox defaults to giving a 98 VM a CD drive. So it appears that someone deleted the CD drive from the VM's Storage settings.

In the main Virtualbox window, click the 98 VM in the left-side VM list. The settings for the VM will show on the right side. In the Storage group, there should be a "Controller: IDE", and under that an "IDE Primary Device: 0" with the VM's hard disk file.

In a default set-up 98 VM there would also be an "IDE Secondary Device: 0" with an Optical Drive.

Do you see the Optical Drive listed, like shown here?
98 default storage.png
98 default storage.png (33.9 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
Pappy1958

Post by Pappy1958 »

good morning Scotgus
No optical drive listed, but it does say i have a IDE as a primary device, would the fact the drive is a SATA be an issue?

Could the fault be that i used a 98 VDI rather than going through the process if installing 98?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Pappy1958

Post by Pappy1958 »

Hi mpack, lets see if iv done this right....
is this the log you asked for?
Attachments
Windows 98-2023-05-31-18-16-14.7z
(23.23 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Per your report and if I read the log correctly, you don't have a CD drive in the VM.
  1. Make sure the VM is completely shut down, not save-stated. The VM tile in the list should say "Powered Off". If it doesn't, start the VM and shut it down from inside the VM OS.
  2. Click the 98 VM in the VM list. In the right pane with the VMs settings showing, click the word "Storage". The VM's Storage settings will appear.
  3. You should see a line "Controller: IDE", and under it a hard disk icon that says "Windows 98.vdi". If we deduce everything correctly so far, there won't be any lines with a CD icon.
  4. Click the "Controller: IDE" line. A CD drive icon and a hard disk icon will appear. Click the CD icon with the green +.
  5. An "Optical Disk Selector" window will appear. In the list of CDs and ISOs, find the "Host Drive" line, select it then click the Choose button.
  6. The VM will now have a CD drive in it, pointing to the host CD drive.
Pappy1958

Post by Pappy1958 »

Thanks Scottgus1,
All is ok up to No 5

There i just get the popup with,
"Please choose a virtual optical disk file"

There all that is listed is the C:\ drive
and a "Windows 98 Second Edition.iso"

Would it be worth me reinstalling the VM
and Windows 98 rather than using the .VDI fie i downloaded?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Pappy1958 wrote: 2. Jun 2023, 09:00 All is ok up to No 5

There i just get the popup with,
"Please choose a virtual optical disk file"
The process has changed a bit over a version or two. My list was for Virtualbox 7.0.

But if you choose the "Windows 98 Second Edition.iso" you should then get the CD drive in the VM.

Once the CD drive shows up under "Controller: IDE", you can then select the CD drive. The right pane of the Settings window will then show the settings for the CD drive.

Under Attributes, Optical Drive, there is a little CD icon with a dropdown arrow at the far right. Click it, then in the popup menu choose "Host Drive". That should point your VM's CD drive at the host's physical CD drive.