AutoPilot...again

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
phongshader

AutoPilot...again

Post by phongshader »

I've read through the posts here and it seems there has been no resolution or if there has no one has returned to post their solution. I'm trying to set up a vm to test Autopilot provisioning and I need a vm with a serial that doesn't equal 0. I've run this command

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage.exe setextradata <VM Name here> "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" "<my serial here>"
C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage.exe getextradata <VM Name here> "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" 
Value: <my serial here>
but when I run

Get-WindowsAutopilotInfo.ps1
in the vm I get

Gathered details for device with serial number: 0
and the serial is indeed 0.
Here is part of the .vbox file:

<ExtraData>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastCloseAction" value="PowerOff"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastNormalWindowPosition" value="174,100,1470,888"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/ScaleFactor" value="2"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" value="<my serial here>"/>
    </ExtraData>
Any solutions to get the vm to a non 0 serial?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: AutoPilot...again

Post by mpack »

Are you using the MBR BIOS? If you are using the EFI BIOS then the "pcbios" part of the path should be "efi". See the user manual.

And re your comment about no one coming back to confirm a solution, now is your chance to set a good example!
phongshader

Re: AutoPilot...again

Post by phongshader »

I'm a knucklehead the solution is to add string: in front of the serial number if it's alphanumeric,

"string:<my serial here>"