What's the proper way to install the 7.04 extensions - Windows 10 Guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
rsk

What's the proper way to install the 7.04 extensions - Windows 10 Guest

Post by rsk »

What is the proper way to install the 7.04 guest extensions on a Windows 10 Pro guest?

I had to roll back VB and extensions to 7.02 because 7.04 did not allow me to go beyond 1600x1200 screen resolution, but 7.02 does as it should.

I did not get a crash with VB 7.04 and the matching 7.04 extensions, but I did see a lot of errors scrolling by during the extension install (7.02 did too but it did work). With or without 3D acceleration on made no difference. I did uninstall older extensions and install fresh, also no difference.

So how and what is the proper way to install these 7.04 extensions, or are they just broken right now?

TIA
okcrum
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Solaris, OpenIndiana

Re: What's the proper way to install the 7.04 extensions - Windows 10 Guest

Post by okcrum »

I've had success (since I cleaned the 7beta and 7.0.0 GAs up) using the Devices->Insert Guest Additions CD Image if I've uninstalled the previous (usually mismatched) GA, or Devices-> Upgrade Guest Additions. Both are on the running VM menu.
rsk

Post by rsk »

I did exactly that the first time without deleting the 7.02 extensions. That failed to give me the screen resolution I should have had and did have with the earlier extensions.

So, I uninstalled all of the extensions, rebooted the VM and installed the 7.04 clean using that procedure you described (and I have always used) and I had the same screen resolution problem.

Something on 7.04 isn't installing the way it did on 7.02.

TIA
rsk

Post by rsk »

I ran the entire procedure again.

I deleted the 7.02 extensions and rebooted the W10 VM.

I upgraded VB 7.02 to 7.04.

I downloaded the extensions (from the VB GUI) and it installed them.

I started the W10 VM and installed the 7.04 extensions by inserting the extensions and following the GUI.

I rebooted the W10 VM.

And I still get the same max resolution of 1600x1200. I did try to pay attention to the errors scrolling across the extensions installer and they seem to be cert errors. So maybe that's why the driver isn't installing correctly. If there is an error log for the extensions installer, I couldn't find it?

TIA
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

rsk wrote:I still get the same max resolution of 1600x1200.
What happens if you put the VM into Full-Screen mode or maximize the VM window? Does the maximum screen size shown in the VM OS change to the full-screen or maximized screen size?

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
rsk

Post by rsk »

I did try the windowed and then to maximize transition. That's worked in the past but with 7.04 it goes to maximized with a white area around the 1600x1200 screen contents. Full screen does the same thing except the surround is black.

It never goes to full size.

The log is attached.

TIA
Attachments
VBox-W10 Pro-Guest-Log.zip
(37.52 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

In the VBox.log file, the log messages regarding the VirtualBox WDDM driver are missing, so it probably wasn't installed during the VirtualBox Guest Additions (GA) installation.
rsk wrote:I did try to pay attention to the errors scrolling across the extensions installer and they seem to be cert errors. So maybe that's why the driver isn't installing correctly. If there is an error log for the extensions installer, I couldn't find it?
Please provide the C:\Windows\INF\setupapi.dev.log file from within the guest OS.
rsk

Post by rsk »

And just as a side note, I do have a Suse Tumbleweed Linux VM running on this same W10 Pro host and that upgraded to the 7.04 extensions perfectly and it runs as expected.

Of course, the W10 Pro guest we are troubleshooting didn't.
okcrum
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Windows, Solaris, OpenIndiana

Post by okcrum »

rsk wrote:And just as a side note, I do have a Suse Tumbleweed Linux VM running on this same W10 Pro host and that upgraded to the 7.04 extensions perfectly and it runs as expected.

Of course, the W10 Pro guest we are troubleshooting didn't.
You might also want to verify the win10 is still OK using dism/sfc. That VM has bounced hard a few times, it sounds like.
rsk

Post by rsk »

I did run an sfc /scannow and it did find some errors and correct them.

I rebooted and then did another install of the 7.04 extensions. No change to the resolution and it looked like the cert utility part of the extension install was where the errors were.

I did try a reimport of the VB certs before this just to be sure using instructions in the VB extensions manual. But it made no difference.

The requested log file is attached.

TIA
Attachments
setupapi.dev.log.zip
(208.05 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

The setupapi.dev.log file shows several installation attempts between 2022-10-11 and 2022-11-24. Most of the time (*), the installation of the VirtualBox WDDM graphics driver crashed while the (virtual) graphics device was tried to be restarted. This happened for all VirtualBox 7.0.x Guest Additions (GA) versions (x = 0|2|4). In consequence, the installation of the GA drivers was aborted nearly all the time, and only the executables (e.g. VBoxService.exe, VBoxTray.exe) and the guest support driver (VBoxGuest.sys) got installed. There is no indication of any problems related to certificates, BTW.

(*) I don't know if it makes sense to try to install the GA several times or in Windows Safe Mode, in the hope that the installation once succeeds and the VirtualBox WDDM graphics driver doesn't crash afterwards.
rsk

Post by rsk »

I did see the scrolling errors on 7.02 extensions. Don't remember the 7.00 but on 7.02 it did work. I never saw the scrolling on the 6.x series.

How would you go about cleaning out anything that could cause the crashes? The VM is pretty stripped down. There isn't a lot in it.

TIA
rsk

Post by rsk »

I did try installing again after cleaning the registry and the PC from anything VB related. Tried in safe mode too, but nothing different.

I don't know what else to try at this point.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

You could try to install the VirtualBox 6.1.40 Guest Additions and see if they work for you. Some people succeeded with that, and some failed.
Tom89

Post by Tom89 »

I believe, the graphics driver is the issue with installing guess extensions.
My VMs would sometmies crash, sometimes resulation could not be changed.

I could fix the resolution issue by installing the driver in device manager.
-> Update driver -> search for driver -> C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions -> :D