Resolution - Even with GuestAdditions

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
MarioL

Resolution - Even with GuestAdditions

Post by MarioL »

Hello.

I have an virtual machine running on other PC and everything works fine, but in this one, a bit weaker with i5 1145G7 without dedicated graphics (just iris xe), without guestadditions (GA) i have a small window as usual, but after install GA the resolution are a bit annoying because doesn't fit with my screen resolution that it is 1920x1080 and the max resolution that allow's me is: 1920x950.

Even Copy Paste feature are activated as biderectional and doesn't work in this PC.

Thanks in advance.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Resolution - Even with GuestAdditions

Post by scottgus1 »

Per One issue per thread, let's deal with the screen size question here.
MarioL wrote:doesn't fit with my screen resolution that it is 1920x1080 and the max resolution that allow's me is: 1920x950.
1920x950 isn't possible without working Guest Additions, so Guest Additions are working. 1080 - 950 = 130, which might be the size of the host Taskbar and VM window title bar, menu bar & status bar? If so then everything is working properly. Virtualbox reports the available window display size to the OS, which in turn reports that as one of the sizes available, if not the present max size.

Have you tried Full-screen? (This one will cover the host screen with the VM screen until you revert out of Full-Screen or shut down the VM.)

Also try turning off the VM window's View menu > Auto-resize Guest Display, then Virtual Screen # > Resize to 1920x1080 (this one will make the VM OS go to the requested size while still in a window, and will force scroll bars if the display size in the window is too small for the requested size.)
MarioL

Post by MarioL »

Yes, it's what u're saying.

But when i'm going to the full screen, it fills the host Taskbar and VM window title bar "positions" with black bars.

The "Virtual Screen # > Resize " are all in grey, i cant change any of this.

I have tried this:
VBoxManage setextradata "MachineName" "CustomVideoMode1" "1920x1080x32"
VBoxManage controlvm "MachineName" setvideomodehint 1920 1080 32
and don't generate any error but dont give any result back too (i have tried in full screen and in windows modes).

I have opened vbox file and change the resolutions in this lines and didn't have effect too:
<ExtraDataItem name="CustomVideoMode1" value="1920x1080x32"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" value="1920,1080"/>

Even the clipboard copy/paste doesn't work, and i have it activated as bidirectional.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

MarioL wrote:when i'm going to the full screen, it fills the host Taskbar and VM window title bar "positions" with black bars.
That's a problem. (Good thing to have put in the first post, if you knew it then, btw.)

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
MarioL

Post by MarioL »

Sorry
The problem starts from the beginning, even if i start in full screen mode I got this black bars instead of all screen with image, like a movie...
Attachments
W10_ORG_STEP7-2022-04-13-14-42-57.zip
1920x950_resol_prob
(27.79 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

I wonder if your dual monitor setup plays a role (or if the VM is configured wrong) ...
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

It seems the zip file is corrupted and can't extract. Can you please try again? I'm curious to see if Guest Additions installed and is running.
MarioL

Post by MarioL »

With a second screen behaved the same.

file attached again.
Attachments
W10_ORG_STEP7-2022-04-13-14-42-57.zip
(32.21 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
MarioL

Post by MarioL »

so, there are no solution for this issue?
MarioL

Post by MarioL »

new version, problem fixed.