Attempted Change Screen Size of Machine failed--now stuck in new size

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Oracle VM User

Attempted Change Screen Size of Machine failed--now stuck in new size

Post by Oracle VM User »

Hi everyone!

I posted this as a new topic since I was trying to use my static filled Editing program without the benefit of a trackball/M570 Logi mouse and only a laptop trackpad reversed physically to my non-dominant hand due to its being stuck on a shelf with wires out of all the ports.

I have "other" issues with Oracle Virtualbox, but while trying to still operate and use the existing Windows 7 32bit VM I have created, I ran into the problem described in other thread:

I researched the User Manual and came upon the chapter titled:
1.8.5 Resizing the Machine’s Window
Ok--I thought I followed the Host + C and other selections on display.
2. If you have the Guest Additions installed and they support automatic resizing, the Guest
Additions will automatically adjust the screen resolution of the guest OS. For example, if
you are running a Windows guest with a resolution of 1024x768 pixels and you then resize
the VM window to make it 100 pixels wider, the Guest Additions will change the Windows
display resolution to 1124x768.
I don't see in any of the Menu choices of Host or Guest VM the option to change "display resolution".

Now I'm stuck into a screen WITHOUT SCROLL BARS that is not showing the entire program image that I needed to view.

I noticed that having the new (new to me that is!) Guest Additions, is why I suddenly got a window with Scroll bars as:
3. Otherwise, if the window is bigger than the VM’s screen, the screen will be centered. If it
is smaller, then scroll bars will be added to the machine window.
I wanted the program and entire Windows 7 Machine Window to appear without scroll bars as without a functioning mouse, its really difficult to go up and down up and down from the menu bar to using the items on the Editing Aduio program.

I don't have screen shots of that as never figured out how to "share" items between the Virtual Machine and Host Machine.

I just read and re-read those chapters of the User Manual.

YES I can follow those instructions.

NO I'm not confident I can do that without destroying more of the VM and creating new issues to solve here.

So I can't show Virtual Machine screenshots---will see if any are useable from my Host Computer, if so I'll post them below to show comparisons.

Here are what screenshots I happened to take while doing my experiments with screen size to get rid of the scroll bars.....
Now I can't return back to whatever it was I had working earlier--even with Guest Additions operating....
My original sized screen as of 6-22-22 No Scroll bars and high resolution.jpg
My original sized screen as of 6-22-22 No Scroll bars and high resolution.jpg (82.34 KiB) Viewed 3247 times
Please tell me how to STOP screen from having scroll bars as without mouse control I cant do anything 6-25-22.jpg
Please tell me how to STOP screen from having scroll bars as without mouse control I cant do anything 6-25-22.jpg (76.91 KiB) Viewed 3247 times
Here is how I damaged the screen size to get without scroll bars--icons are HUGE and poor resolution 6-27-22.jpg
Here is how I damaged the screen size to get without scroll bars--icons are HUGE and poor resolution 6-27-22.jpg (70.04 KiB) Viewed 3247 times
See next post here as I can't load more than 3 attachments.....

and it will have the required two logs attached as well within the 3 attachment limit...sorry to make you have to view two posts to get all the information...

So to get to a solution of my problem:
I think I need something that changes my Guest Windows7 screen resolution so when I changed the window and scaled it, I can still see the program without the very large type and larger icons that really should not have happened if I followed the choices properly. And without the side scroll bars since I don't have my handy-dandy "scroll wheel" operating anymore to allow me to rapidly go up and down all four panes of the program.

Oracle VM User
Oracle VM User

Re: Attempted Change Screen Size of Machine failed--now stuck in new size

Post by Oracle VM User »

Hi everyone.....

Sorry to make you have to read two posts to solve this problem as I was unable to get more than 3 attachments per post.

Here is my last inline (yes I learned how to do that!) screenshot....
Audio Editor should have FOUR panes available----I don't even have two with new screen size today 6-27-22.jpg
Audio Editor should have FOUR panes available----I don't even have two with new screen size today 6-27-22.jpg (122.4 KiB) Viewed 3246 times

and my two logs, one regular one hardened, both zip files..

attached.

Oracle VM User
Attachments
Windows7 32bit VM-2022-06-27-05-06-55 hardening zipped.zip
(26.79 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Windows7 32bit VM-2022-06-27-05-06-53 zipped.zip
(35.62 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

And two more screenshots as I didn't count right..... overloaded the three attachments limit again:

Thank you for any advice to fix this while we work on the other major problems!

Oracle VM User
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Your posts are still way too long. We need more than Twitter-like posts, but we don't want encyclopedias either. Why do we need to know about your trackball being reversed because you're using your non-dominant hand? That is unneeded information that confuses the problem! Please, for the sake of the unpaid volunteers who try to read your tomes, be more concise.

Your VM window is missing the View menu, which provides control over the window size and commands to adjust the VM OS's screen size if Guest additions are installed.

In the main Virtualbox window, right-click the VM in the list, then Settings. Click 'User Interface'. The available VM window menus will be shown. The menus File, Machine, Input, Devices, and Help will probably be highlighted, while View is probably not highlighted. (There will probably be a Debug menu, too; ignore that one, it doesn't normally appear.)

Click "View" so it is highlighted like the others. The View menu should appear immediately in the VM window's menu bar. Shut down and restart the VM (not just reboot) if the View menu does not appear immediately.

In the View menu, 'Adjust Window Size' will force the VM window to the screen size of the VM OS. 'Auto-Resize Guest Display' will force the VM OS screen size to the size of the VM window.
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Hi scottgus1:

Thank you so much!

[Solved] !!!!!!
Your posts are still way too long. We need more than Twitter-like posts,
Sorry... I'm disabled in that area of lack of ability to write "shortened" phrases in English....

I've never successfully posted on Twitter, etc places due to that disability....so sorry!
Why do we need to know about your trackball being reversed because you're using your non-dominant hand? That is unneeded information that confuses the problem! Please, for the sake of the unpaid volunteers who try to read your tomes, be more concise.
I do appreciate your and the others here, efforts for everyone who posts, so I'm always very polite in asking for what I want.

I use a grammar editor....but all it does for me is ADD IN WORDS... I keep editing out things like "and" "the" but never whole sentences so its unable to help me shorten stuff.. Only human editors are smart enough [like you] to read everything and interpret that part about the trackball was unnecessary...

Sorry again--I thought by telling you "why" I need my trackball back, it might encourage helpful fixing of a very minor problem I caused to occur to myself....

I did notice "View" choice was missing while reading the User Manual instructions......

But I just went ahead and did what the Manual said to do anyway as we all know with PCs "individual results may vary"...

Thanks again!

Don't know why file is too large for inline posting---I just take the screenshots, some are fine, some are too large for inline... confusing as anything. I don't want to make everyone do extra click, extra work opening up a file inside computer that is not just displayed here like everyone else does......
As it says, I also adjusted back the Screen Scale (under Display Menu in Settings) to 100%, and adjusted the left,right, and lower corner handles to fit better.

Don't know why my use of Host + C for enabling/disabling scaled mode, does not restore it back to a separate screen under "Windows 7" Icon at taskbar of Host....[probably used too few words to describe that minor problem in adjusting the result back to normal]

[Off topic? I think as it relates to my other issue here about the Audio Static...that the mis-match between the Guest and Host Size display factors, was somehow causing severe feedback to occur on the Audio system?

I will use it a while and see if its just a fluke or is the static really gone..

[Edit: just launching, running, and shutting down about 6-7 times... I can tell when static will effect audio on the "opening sounds"..
If staticky then its going to make it harder to edit stuff and use audio---if its clear four-five windows tones then go ahead and do everything faster as its working! ]

Trackball is still not working....but I have a post about that one.....

Ending Off topic]

Oracle VM User