Audio static on Windows 7 Guest using OS audio & USB Audio device

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Audio static on Windows 7 Guest using OS audio & USB Audio device

Post by multiOS »

mpack,

Thanks for your insight, I haven't used physical CD/DVD drives for longer than I care to remember, so went for what seemed to provide a workable option, given that only having a 'passthrough' physical drive appears to have directly resulted in the error messages the OP reported and I didn't find any guidance on mapping the device so that it could recognise both the Host's physical CD Drive and also respond appropriately to the use of ISOs.

Going back to the User Guide now to try to defog the mind.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

multiOS wrote:I didn't find any guidance on mapping the device so that it could recognise both the Host's physical CD Drive and also respond appropriately to the use of ISOs.
I would not expect any guidance on how to achieve that, since it can't be configured to do anything else. AFAIK VirtualBox is perfectly happy for a virtual CD drive to be mapped to a physical (host) drive, or an ISO file, or a VISO folder - and for that mapping to be switched at any time.

With Linux guests there can be problems with the CD filesystem being mounted and locked, and Linux refuses to eject the current CD (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED), but Windows knows that the drive is removable so that error never happens for Windows guests.

On the other hand if the OP wants to try changing the mapping to the GAs ISO in the VM Storage settings before launching the VM then that would certainly be worth trying, though as mentioned I don't understand why it didn't already work: a menu click isn't rocket science.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

@ mPack,

Thanks again, I'll stop looking. The only possibility I could find in the User Guide was the 'VBoxManage storeageattach' command to toggle passthrough on/off, but as you say it should be simpler to deal with the Storage Settings via the GUI prior to launching the VM. Unfortunately, not having a physical CD/DVD Drive attached limited how much I could do to try to replicate the User's Setup :oops:

@Oracle VM User

Hopefully, you are able to follow this mini-discussion and check out the settings on your system.

As mPack says, my suggestion to create an additional CD Drive does have the known potential to cause confusion/problems, especially if CDs/ISOs are not ejected after use, and would require disciplined management. So. please first check the Options available via the VirtualBox Settings > Storage (see screenshot below).

Are you able to load the VirtualBoxGuestAdditions.iso prior to launching the Windows 7 VM from the options listed on your system?
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-06-24 at 17.41.26.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-24 at 17.41.26.jpg (52.48 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Thank you BOTH multiOS and mpack for such clear instructions!
Are you able to load the VirtualBoxGuestAdditions.iso prior to launching the Windows 7 VM from the options listed on your system?
I think the answer is a resounding "no" as I see the choice on the menu---but clicking on it only produces the long error message I have posted previously.

"Before" I attempt anything---and get stuck somewhere or crash....

One procedural item that you can answer easily before I attempt this:
but please remember to eject the Guest Additions ISO either before or after the re-boot. This should ensure that the New Virtual CD Drive remains in tact and is ready for reuse when needed.
So what exactly is the procedure that I WILL DEFINITELY USE before "rebooting" if I'm given "time" by the reboot program/instructions to interact with the VirtualBox manager to remove / eject the Guest Additions ISO!

[Sorry---I actually was writing this and posted it between your two posts so maybe I did not see the visual choice on "page 2" of the thread saying clearly... CHOICES: "Remove Disk from Virutual Drive" in Grey type (as I know YOU don't need that choice yet) in the Screenshot in the post directly above this one!---is that my solution to my own question I just wrote here? ) ( :embarassed: )

Yes, doing this all "virtually" is MUCH better than trying to do ISO's physically as I recall doing that wayyyy back when I began my VM set ups....

That is only question I can think of before I begin---if I encounter other problems or success , either way I'll let you all know!

A Happy OP (whatever that term stands for here) :D

Oracle VM User
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

P.S.
Again if I post a photo might help explain your query if I can load in Guest Additions to my Virtual CD before launching WIndows7 VM?
Attachments
CD Selection.jpg
CD Selection.jpg (92.24 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
Last edited by mpack on 25. Jun 2022, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced zipped jpeg with cropped jpeg.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Click on the little blue CD to the right of the "Attributes" panel.

The left pane is where you select, add and remove controllers. The right pane is where you change the settings of the currently selected controller. You presumably already knew this, since I see that you have set that CD passthrough setting, and also previously mapped the CD to "Host drive 'D:'".
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Hi mpack & multiOS!

I'm back!

See attached screenshots---- I skipped most of my "errors" in finding the correct pathway etc.. jumped to loading and running "Windows Guest Additions 6.1.34 ver"

Problems? of course... took a while until now to figure them out.....

Do I still get static?

unfortunately yes...using the standard pre-loaded "Windows Library Music" file 3 samples, all three have "Static" still on them

Attached are the screenshots.

More problems? Sure!

Running Windows7 32bit WITH Guest Additions loaded:

1. I got a LARGER screen size! (I've been trying to press the correct buttons for years, but since its "minor" problem to me I gave up trying to fix and lived with it)

BUT--------see problem #3

2. I lost my keyboard each time I start up the VM!

Don't worry, I can "fix" that one.... pull out the USB and plug it in again! External Keyboard works!!!

3. I lost my blue tooth mouse with essential, valuable scroll wheel!

So that is my bigger problem!

Pulling out and re-inserting the bluetooth mouse USB item does NOT FIX it!

Restarting WIndows7 over and over does "not" fix it.... WIndows 10 Host uses everything perfectly when I go back to it so its not a "mouse" or "battery" or etc problem that I can discover easily.

soooooooo what's the problem?

Using my trackpad on the laptop (which I NEVER use in my life)

I can't scroll down the LARGER SIZE screen easily so doing every operation on the VM Windows7 become a daunting task, like trying to type with one hand behind my back and having to figure out all the keys on other side of keyboard with new fingering...
moving up and down the larger screen when my program comes alive and I can't use the "menu" row of keys
PLUS
the bottom items on the same page......

I KNOW there is a setting for changing screen size, but that never worked for me so.... I'll have to search User Manual for that section and figure that one out!

For now.....Its a pain!

4. The Biggest problem?

Static is still here..... not only on my test recordings I have, but on the opening sound of Windows 7 and on the pre-installed Windows Music Library!

5. Its not a "background" static which I can easily ignore, its a foreground static which when listening to these audio files and trying to "figure out " what I'm hearing makes it impossible as the static appears at different points and I have to re-re-repeat ever operation many times over to get a single correct version...
I just don't have that many years left in me to do this from now on.........

Question: I have NOT unmounted the Windows Guest Addition on my new (#3) SATA Optical Drive in case solving this makes me have to "re-load Windows Guest Additions all over again, so I have it working and available for now

(and I'll remove it once everything is back to normal...without static)

Question: I know you don't like long worded replies, but I don't know shorthand to tell you all these details.

Ask me questions and I'll figure out what to do next.

-----------
Other than attaching the successful screenshots.... I await what to try next....

[Detail comment? Just so you know, I can't use --or test those audio devices on Windows 10 at all, but whatever else I can do on Windows 10 is working properly, no static, no loss of keyboard or mouse, so its not a matter of not having drivers, or correct items, its just Windows 7 VM is no longer using everything that I have properly anymore.....]

More problems?
Ready?
Cannot add another attachment, 3 is the maximum.
So I'll start ANOTHER reply ok? I got 17 of these to add in!

Oracle VM User
Attachments
Windows7 Guest Additions iso step 3 6-25-22 zipped.zip
(96.99 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Windows7 Guest Additions iso step 2 6-25-22 zipped.zip
(96.29 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Windows7 Guest Additions iso step 1 6-25-22 zipped.zip
(148.28 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Attachments 4, 5,6 in correct order:
Attachments
Windows7 Guest Additions iso step 4 6-25-22 zipped.zip
(143.62 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Windows7 Guest Additions iso step 5 6-25-22 zipped.zip
(103.48 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Windows7 Guest Additions iso step 6 6-25-22 zipped.zip
(117.23 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by Oracle VM User on 25. Jun 2022, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Attachments 7, 8, 9 in correct order
Attachments
Windows7 Guest Additions iso step 7 6-25-22 zipped.zip
(138.15 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Windows7 Guest Additions iso step 8 6-25-22 zipped.zip
(115.87 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Windows7 Guest Additions iso step 9 6-25-22 zipped.zip
(102.87 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Attachments 10, 11, 12 in correct order
Attachments
Windows7 Guest Additions iso step 10 6-25-22 zipped.zip
(141.89 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Windows7 Guest Additions iso step 11 6-25-22 zipped.zip
(135.38 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Windows7 Guest Additions iso step 12 6-25-22 zipped.zip
(49.67 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Attachments 13, 14, 15 in correct order
Attachments
Windows7 Guest Additions iso step 13 6-25-22 zipped.zip
(77.59 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Windows7 Guest Additions iso step 14 6-25-22 zipped.zip
(121.01 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Windows7 Guest Additions iso step 15 6-25-22 zipped.zip
(113.07 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

Attachments 16, 17 in correct order

Apologies for so many zipped files you have to open.

I'd be HAPPY to install the screenshots "inline" but I have no acceptable FTP site to use for my screenshots with https:// address to give!

[Horrible details? Very strong Anti-virus, Anti-Ransomeware watching over everything I do....

REFUSES to let me (unless I say I allow it and I don't!) visit any sites that have had reports (on its extensive system of users reporting in)
for malware, PUPs , Ransomeware etc. Trojan attacks when using these sites.

Most sites are created and begin operating without any problems, but as more people use them, they manage to corrupt the file sharing software so while everyone "lets" them install or use the software or site, it eventually becomes problematic and I have to stop using it...

and finding "new" sites that haven't been corrupted is a never ending task...

so I gave up sharing screenshots unless a Forum or site gives me access to files directly from my storage to post like Oracle Forum does!

Sorry,

I can talk/write a lot about many computer problems, not just Oracle VM ones! ]
Attachments
Windows7 Guest Additions iso step 16 6-25-22 zipped.zip
(118.03 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Windows7 Guest Additions iso step 17 6-25-22 zipped.zip
(57.17 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The problem is trivially simple, there is no need for all this stuff.

I'm out.
Oracle VM User

Post by Oracle VM User »

The problem is trivially simple, there is no need for all this stuff.

I'm out.
I'm so sorry...........Thanking you again mpack for your assistance! You were great for me to learn so much!

Ah --would you like me to provide an explanation for this?
Why you have to explain everything to me when it appears that I've been doing Oracle VM for over a decade now?
The left pane is where you select, add and remove controllers. The right pane is where you change the settings of the currently selected controller. You presumably already knew this, since I see that you have set that CD passthrough setting, and also previously mapped the CD to "Host drive 'D:'".
Remember me? "Computer Dummy" I know much more than I can ever remember unless I'm using it "every day"

Secret to Oracle VM use?

At the place where I purchased my Computer back in 2010!

A guy knew how to do Oracle VM...when he saw the HUGE MESS I CREATED by using "Partition Commander" program and "OS Commander" (Hope that is correct name) for installing all the different OS's I was required to use at work (required to "use" not required to know how to install and maintain and "IT" it all day long)

That I had 25 (yes one letter less than A to Z) as the "Audio device" I'm still using today in 2022, was the extra letter "Z" partition and you can't go beyond letter Z in partitions.. and I had many different "Emulators" I was using with high level programming languages.. C, C#, C+, C++ et al.....

That was 25 partitions, each with their OWN OS, varying from Linux, to IBM Mainframe, to Emulators, to all versions of windows going back as far as 3.3! Plus programs which still worked stored on each of the partitions.....

Yes I can program, but these things are all daily "IT" management of a computer system, I know enough to get by, so long as nothing bad happens....

Why did I say all that?

Because as you can see from my OSX entries, 2012's etc Until a certain year, I could just carry in the laptop to the Computer Store, hand it over to the guy working there and say "Oracle VM " has a problem... describe it

15 seconds! (YES 15 SECONDS!) later he's solved it and showed me what he did...

I can't recall all the problems I encountered with all four of these OS's but you get the idea....

[Oh one is "mislabled" as I did it to myself when "copying and pasting" it.. I have (or had...I know Apple does not let me anymore) ONE of those two is Leopard OSX and ONE is Snow Leopard OSX and third you don't see is Mountain Lion, but Apple as "socratics" says... stopped that for me so some day I need a trip to computer store or "socratics" to find ALL THE .iso Apple disks FULLY LOADED Into the laptop
stealing space and memory
and find and delete all of them so I can have more Hard Drive Space to use for Windows 10 items! I'm like less than 30% free space and got to find more stuff I can safely move off

...................maybe??
...........maybe ?? having less than 30% free space on the main SSD Hard Drive, is causing static on Windows 7? I doubt it as
I had
ZERO STATIC until I loaded in the version 6.1.34 as scottgus1 instructed me how to do it!

Ok, thanks for letting me explain how I know so little and got so far with Oracle VM over these past 12 years!

Oracle VM User (Note that is why I say "User" not operator, programmer, or fixer!)