trouble - Guest: Windows XP SP3 - VBoxGuestAdditions_6.1.32.iso

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
maltep

trouble - Guest: Windows XP SP3 - VBoxGuestAdditions_6.1.32.iso

Post by maltep »

Hello Users,

i habe trouble with Version 6.1.32 r149290 (Qt5.12.8) .
Windows XP SP3 with the GA VBoxGuestAdditions_6.1.32.iso doesn't work's.

Only the VBoxGuestAdditions_6.1.26.iso work's without problems.

How can i use VBoxGuestAdditions_6.1.32.iso with my Guest Windows XP SP3?

Thank you

maltep
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: trouble - Guest: Windows XP SP3 - VBoxGuestAdditions_6.1.32.iso

Post by scottgus1 »

There is a possible problem with new security hashing that is being investigated. Meanwhile, you might be able to stay on the older Guest Additions, I don't think there are any XP-specific features being upgraded.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I just upgraded my XP Pro SP3 GAs here at work to 6.1.32 and had zero problems. So IMO there can be nothing in the GAs that XP doesn't like.

Also, "doesn't works" is pretty useless as a diagnostic tool. I'd like to see an adequate description of the problem along with screenshots of any error messages.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mpack wrote:I just upgraded my XP Pro SP3 GAs here at work to 6.1.32 and had zero problems.
When did you create this VM?

To better assess user reports, it could be interesting to know if the GA 6.1.32 can be installed on a new Windows XP installation ...
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

fth0 wrote:
mpack wrote:I just upgraded my XP Pro SP3 GAs here at work to 6.1.32 and had zero problems.
When did you create this VM?
Years ago. But if the problem is caused by new certificate types then why would the age of my XP install matter?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I just ran a fresh install of volume-license XP SP3 on 6.1.32, and freshly installed the 6.1.32 GAs, and had no problems.

I think I have an XP sp2 CD around here somewhere, I'll try that later and see what happens.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

scottgus1 wrote:I just ran a fresh install of volume-license XP SP3 on 6.1.32, and freshly installed the 6.1.32 GAs, and had no problems.
Thanks for trying! Now we know that there's a chance for a new installation to work. :)
mpack wrote:But if the problem is caused by new certificate types then why would the age of my XP install matter?
The exact circumstances are not known (to me), but the order of all Windows XP updates and VirtualBox GA updates could play a role. Some of the interrelated mechanisms involved are

(1) accumulated higher level certificates in the different Windows certificate stores (there is more than one accepted certificate chain),
(2) trusting Oracle software (singly or permanently) by the user during installation, which also combines with (1),
(3) accumulated INF, CAT and driver files being out-of-sync between the two installation directories C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions, which I discovered lately,
(4) new certificates used to sign some of the current GA files with new signature methods (e.g. attestation signing), with potential mistakes in the attempt to attach 3 signatures while CAT files probably only allow 2.

For Windows 8.1, Windows 7 and Windows XP, the affected users get different error codes returned by VBoxDrvInst.exe. In the case of Windows XP, all affected users reported 0xE0000304 so far, which can be translated to "ERROR_INVALID_CATALOG_DATA: Catalog referenced in the INF is invalid or could not be found", which hints to a combination of (3) and (4).

I do not envy the VirtualBox developers who have to cope with the Microsoft certification issues when supporting obsolete Windows versions today.