Problems launching VM with VirtualBox > 6.1.32

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Frank_O

Problems launching VM with VirtualBox > 6.1.32

Post by Frank_O »

(mod edit: Please see the last post in this topic for a diagnostic step to tell if you are affected by a possible bug in 6.1.32 and some workarounds to try: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105026&p=513653#p513653)

Hi,
my VirtualBox Host run on W10, after upgrade to 6.1.32 the W10 Guest is very slow and does not respond to commands.
With the previous version is better but sometimes the VM freeze for 5-10 seconds.
Attached log files.
Thanks
FranK
Attachments
Logs.zip
Log files
(190.75 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Problems launching VM with VirtualBox > 6.1.32

Post by mpack »

00:00:03.313739 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
00:00:03.335413 NEM: info: Found optional import WinHvPlatform.dll!WHvQueryGpaRangeDirtyBitmap.
00:00:03.335475 NEM: WHvCapabilityCodeHypervisorPresent is TRUE, so this might work...
You have Hyper-v running, that will be why VirtualBox is slow. It has nothing to do with the VirtualBox version - the change (if any) was on the host OS.

See: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, some users have reported that VirtualBox VMs in NEM mode (Hyper-V active) experienced a slow down after updating VirtualBox from 6.1.30 to 6.1.32. This is independent of the fact that NEM mode is generally much slower than VT-x mode in most cases.
Frank_O

Post by Frank_O »

Thanks.
disabling Hyper-v the issue is resolved, now It seems works ok
I have an issue with checkpoint vpn/driver but this is another story
Bye
Frank
tmknight

Post by tmknight »

However, some of us require HV as well as VB (e.g. WSL). The HV issue was resolved in 6.1.30, however, it appears to have regressed in 6.1.32 on Windows 10; Windows 11, at first blush, appears OK.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

tmknight wrote:HV issue was resolved in 6.1.30
Not really. An immediate guru meditation was resolved yes, but running under Hyper-v is always slow even at the best of times AFAIK, and sometimes unreliable.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

fth0 wrote:FWIW, some users have reported that VirtualBox VMs in NEM mode (Hyper-V active) experienced a slow down after updating VirtualBox from 6.1.30 to 6.1.32. This is independent of the fact that NEM mode is generally much slower than VT-x mode in most cases.
At the weekend, I've verified this assessment myself, so I'm now part of those "some users".

During the course of the VirtualBox 6.1.x updates, the NEM mode performance has been improved from time to time. But the changes necessary to make VirtualBox compatible to the Windows HVCI requirements have degraded the performance again. I believe we'll have to wait and see what the future brings ...
jhuizi

Post by jhuizi »

Hi

Same issue here, after 6.1.32, VM's start extremely slow, almost unworkable
I have reinstalled 6.1.30 and all works fine now
Kilgore

Post by Kilgore »

I'm not running Hyper-V and getting a black screen on all of my Win10 hosts. I may downgrade to ver 6.1.30. This is the first time I've ever had VirtualBox bomb like this.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Kilgore wrote:I'm not running Hyper-V
IME, people making that statement are usually wrong. But post a zipped VM log and we won't need to speculate.

Or just go ahead and read the FAQ linked above.
Kilgore

Post by Kilgore »

FYI. I did downgrade to ver 6.1.30. Smooth sailing so far. Goo thing I loaded this to my test box before moving it to my application system.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

If you are not using 6.1.32 then your comments are off topic here.
pjt

Post by pjt »

mpack wrote:If you are not using 6.1.32 then your comments are off topic here.
I believe this wasn't very helpful. If downgrading to 6.1.30 is a temporary solution, then it's a valid answer for those who ran into this problem.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Our goal is to find out what's wrong, if anything, with 6.1.32. Going back to a previous version is at best a temporary workaround that apparantly works for some. It doesn't explain the problem nor does it provide a real long term solution - unless your proposal is to stick to 6.1.30 forever.

So please - let's ditch the magical thinking. If things don't work then we can define what doesn't work, why it doesn't work, and how to fix it. There is no holy grail past version which never had such probems. I'm perfectly prepared to believe that 6.1.32 has problems, but I am lacking two things: (1) any evidence that the current complaints about 6.1.32 are any different from seemingly identical complaints we get about every version, (2) something other than hearsay to document a specific problem 6.1.32 has. All I'm seeing at the moment are the usual suspects - a variety of host OS conflicts and installation errors, no reason to suppose those problems are version specific, and most are unsupported by evidence (log files).

I say this from the point of view of someone who has been using 6.1.32 from the day of it's release, on a Windows 11 host and a variety of guests, with zero problems. Therefore I know that any problems with 6.1.32 are not universal, and I'm still inclined to believe that they are in fact a problem with that user or PC.
ScottM77

Post by ScottM77 »

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I was having start-up failure of Ubuntu guest on Win10 host and I didn't know if it was
* Windows update & Reboot
* Ubuntu 20.4 LTS update, or
* Virtualbox 6.1.30 -> 6.1.32 update.

I followed the expedient, and temporary strategy of down-rev'ing VirtualBox back to 6.1.30 and my VM is back and working!

I chased the comments about Windows Hyper-V, and I think I *am* running it in order to run WSL, which I don't want to give up.

Looks like 6.1.32 is a regression for coping w/ Hyper-V, So now I'll wait for an update, and I'll be more cautious about upgrading VirtualBox.