Failed to open a session for the virtual machine MSEdge - Win10

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
VB mac 8

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine MSEdge - Win10

Post by VB mac 8 »

Hi, I am have downloaded a Virtual Machine from developer microsoft site

I have downloaded MSEdge - Win10.ova onto an external SSD and tried to import it, but I get this error:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine MSEdge - Win10.

The virtual machine 'MSEdge - Win10' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Is this due to it being on external drive? I don't have enough room on my host

Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Failed to open a session for the virtual machine MSEdge - Win10

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" and "VBoxHardening.log" (no other files) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
VB mac 8

Post by VB mac 8 »

mpack wrote:Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" and "VBoxHardening.log" (no other files) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Thanks, I tried that it saysd
No log files found. Press the Refresh button to rescan the log folder /Volumes/SSD/_VIRTUALBOX/MSEdge/MSEdge - Win10/Logs.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The error reported in the first post is from an attempt to run the VM. It is not an import error, since importing does not require "startup", nor would it involve a VM terminating early.

If you attempted to run the VM then log files were created inside the host folder "/home/VirtualBox VMs/MSEdge - Win10/Logs" (unless you changed the default machine folder).

Also, I just noticed that you posted this question in the "MacOS Guests" forum - obviously not appropriate for a Win10-Edge guest. I'll move the topic to "Windows Guests".
VB mac 8

Post by VB mac 8 »

mpack wrote:The error reported in the first post is from an attempt to run the VM. It is not an import error, since importing does not require "startup", nor would it involve a VM terminating early.

If you attempted to run the VM then log files were created inside the host folder "/home/VirtualBox VMs/MSEdge - Win10/Logs" (unless you changed the default machine folder).

Also, I just noticed that you posted this question in the "MacOS Guests" forum - obviously not appropriate for a Win10-Edge guest. I'll move the topic to "Windows Guests".
Ok thanks, wasn't sure if "MacOS Guests" meant the host

I changed the machine folder to the external SSD drive. There no no logs in there either
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Since this is probably a Mac host, please try MultiOS's suggestion here: viewtopic.php?f=22&p=481332#p481332

If the host is Monterey, please check out the Mac Hosts forum for recent ideas, like this topic viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104249 there's some 'kext' script tricks and a couple test builds of Virtualbox that might be necessary.
VB mac 8

Post by VB mac 8 »

scottgus1 wrote:Since this is probably a Mac host, please try MultiOS's suggestion here:

If the host is Monterey, please check out the Mac Hosts forum for recent ideas, like this topic there's some 'kext' script tricks and a couple test builds of Virtualbox that might be necessary.
Thanks this helps. I seem to remember a security popup when installing that I accidentally closed.
However I cannot seem to uninstall all traces of it though. I run VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool, then re-install and the same Virtual Boxes appears. No dialog either. Is there a hidden preference file I need to delete?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

VB mac 8 wrote:the same Virtual Boxes appears.
This is normal. Virtualbox keeps the VMs through version changes and uninstalls. If you want to get rid of a VM, right-click the VM in the list and choose Remove. You have the option to "Remove Only" which only unregisters the VM but keeps the files around to register again if you want, and "Delete All Files" which kills the VM mercilessly, with no files left over and no recovery. Note that "Delete All Files" has no confirm dialog, be careful.
VB mac 8 wrote:No dialog either.
I think that's a Mac OS issue, I've read of that in the forums. How to get the question to come up again is a subject for a web-search.
VB mac 8

Post by VB mac 8 »

scottgus1 wrote:
VB mac 8 wrote:the same Virtual Boxes appears.
This is normal. Virtualbox keeps the VMs through version changes and uninstalls. If you want to get rid of a VM, right-click the VM in the list and choose Remove. You have the option to "Remove Only" which only unregisters the VM but keeps the files around to register again if you want, and "Delete All Files" which kills the VM mercilessly, with no files left over and no recovery. Note that "Delete All Files" has no confirm dialog, be careful.
VB mac 8 wrote:No dialog either.
I think that's a Mac OS issue, I've read of that in the forums. How to get the question to come up again is a subject for a web-search.
ok thanks