Auto-resize guest display issue

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
bend

Auto-resize guest display issue

Post by bend »

Auto-resize guest display doesn't seem to work properly for me as the guest screen won't maximize to the full window (it is surrounded by a gray box). I see that this is a common problem, but I haven't been able to fix this issue via any of the common solutions (guest additions are installed, maximum guest screen size is set to automatic).

Being able to use the full screen would be great (and I've always gotten this to work fairly easily with other Linux hosts), so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Info
Version 5.0.26 r108824, guest additionsl installed
Host: ubuntu 16.04, 8gb, 64 bit
Guest: windows 10, 2gb, 64 bit
Log attached.
Attachments
win10-2016-07-20-05-27-35.log
(103.06 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Auto-resize guest display issue

Post by Perryg »

Is the auto-resize feature enabled in the ( guest ) view tab of VBox?
bend

Post by bend »

yes, it is.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I don't see this as a host issue actually. I believe you would be better served in the Windows guest section and I will move it there for now.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

bend wrote:the guest screen won't maximize to the full window
Have you tried to actually select "Full Screen (Host+F)" from the menu? I see that you're going through several screen sizes but I didn't see anything about going Full Screen.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bend

Post by bend »

Unfortunately that doesn't change the size/resolution of the guest window [the outer ring of the screen is just black].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

OK, maybe you tried it in another attempt, because on the log that you provided, there is no indication of an attempt to switch to Full Screen.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Rainer Unsinn

Post by Rainer Unsinn »

bend wrote:Unfortunately that doesn't change the size/resolution of the guest window [the outer ring of the screen is just black].
Hi Bend,
I had the same issue. Enable 2D and 3D acceleration for the windows guest solved the issue for me. Otherwise the resolution was limited to about 1280x800 pixels, Auto-resize worked only below that resolution.

Hope that helps you as well.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

2D and 3D acceleration has nothing whatever to do with display size.
nick_wilde

Post by nick_wilde »

That did it for me, Rainier. Well, only the 2D acceleration. I had the same issue, Windows 10 host, Windows 10 guest. I enabled 2D acceleration and the Auto-resize Guest Display now works.
Rainer Unsinn wrote:
bend wrote:Unfortunately that doesn't change the size/resolution of the guest window [the outer ring of the screen is just black].
Hi Bend,
I had the same issue. Enable 2D and 3D acceleration for the windows guest solved the issue for me. Otherwise the resolution was limited to about 1280x800 pixels, Auto-resize worked only below that resolution.

Hope that helps you as well.
Danny Apostolov

Post by Danny Apostolov »

What did the job for me was to increase video memory to 128 MB in the VM settings (VM Settings -> Display -> Video Memory). Cheers!