[Solved] Weird 32-Bit Issue

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Krisow

[Solved] Weird 32-Bit Issue

Post by Krisow »

I have a VM that works fine and is a Windows 10 64-Bit, but now that I'm trying to make a new VM (Inside the VM) thats supposed to be also Windows 10 64-Bit it then only let me choose 32-Bit OSes. So I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Weird 32-Bit Issue

Post by mpack »

It's a well known behaviour which means you didn't enable nested VT-x/AMD-v. That behaviour is legacy anyway: VirtualBox 6.1.x won't run any VM without VT-x/AMD-v.

FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.
Krisow

Post by Krisow »

mpack wrote:It's a well known behaviour which means you didn't enable nested VT-x/AMD-v. And the behaviour is legacy anyway: VirtualBox 6.1.x won't run any VM without VT-x/AMD-v.
Thank you, didn't know I had to enable that to be able to make a new 64-Bit VM inside the original VM.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

As the FAQ tells you, VirtualBox 6.1.x requires VT-x or AMD-v for all VMs, not just 64bit ones. The behaviour whereby the UI still apparantly allows 32bit guests is a hangover from 6.0.x and earlier. The 32bit VM would not have ran in 6.1.x.

Since VirtualBox 6.1.x requires VT-x for all VMs, you are of course required to enable the setting which reflects that CPU feature into the VM. The nested VT-x feature is not required if you don't intend to run nested VMs.