Internet not working after VM move to new host

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
RossW

Internet not working after VM move to new host

Post by RossW »

I was able to move my Windows 7 Guest VM to my new MacBook Pro and boot it up, but it doesn't appear to have a working network connection. Where Do I start with troubleshooting? Both the old MacBook Pro and the new one have VirtualBox v5.2.28 (April 2019), and I updated the Guest Extensions on the Win7 guest before removing it from the old MacBook and copying the files to the new (where I added it via Machine > Add).

These are the Network settings - they look like what I had on the old Host, so not sure what's gone wrong:
Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 10.12.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 10.12.49 PM.png (70.67 KiB) Viewed 9051 times
In Win7, when I run the Network Troubleshooting tool it shows this:
Win7 Network Issue.png
Win7 Network Issue.png (100.15 KiB) Viewed 9051 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Internet not working after VM move to new host

Post by socratis »

RossW wrote:I updated the Guest Extensions on the Win7 guest
You've got to be careful with the terminology. There are two distinct things:
  • The Extension Pack (ExtPack) gets installed on the host and it has to match the VirtualBox version. It provides functionality such as USB2-3, Webcam, VRDP, PXE, PCI passthrough on Linux hosts, VDI Encryption. You have to download it and install it separately from the main VirtualBox program, due to its license.
  • The Guest Additions (GAs) get installed on the guest and it would be good to match the VirtualBox version, for anything other than enhanced graphics support. It provides functionality such as shared folders, shared clipboard, drag and drop, pointer sharing (for PS/2 mice), enhanced graphics support. You do not have to download it separately from the main VirtualBox program, since it comes bundled with it.
RossW wrote:These are the Network settings - they look like what I had on the old Host, so not sure what's gone wrong:
Did you have Bridged-over-WiFi on the old MBP as well? Was it the same network/router as the old MBP? Same location?

Because if you moved to a new location that might be the answer actually. Bridged over wireless don't always play nice. Bridged networking is outside the WLAN specification. It may or may not work. Some combinations of Routers/Access Points, WLAN cards and drivers work, some don't.

See: Bridging & Wifi - Supported hardware and add your experience. For example, it works fine in my home, but not in my office. Same laptop, same VM. Try to see if it works either with wired bridged or with NAT.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RossW

Post by RossW »

Win7 Network Issue 2.png
Win7 Network Issue 2.png (92.53 KiB) Viewed 9049 times
Win7 Network Issue 3.png
Win7 Network Issue 3.png (75.68 KiB) Viewed 9049 times
RossW

Post by RossW »

Thanks socratis. I meant to say I installed the latest Extension Pack on the host after upgrading VBox, and then I upgraded the Guest Additions on the guest before moving the files to the new MacBook.

I'll have to re-add the VM to my old MacBook to check the network settings, but I'm worried that Microsoft will disable Windows on one of them.
RossW

Post by RossW »

Here's what it looks like on my old MacBook:
Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 10.56.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 10.56.16 PM.png (80.23 KiB) Viewed 9047 times
And both MacBooks are on the same home wifi network.
RossW

Post by RossW »

I changed the Network > Adaptor 1 to "NAT" and it seems to work OK (albeit a little slow, but that could be Windows downloading updates in the background). I'm not at all familiar with these network settings - all my VMs have just worked right from the get-go; are there any differences I should expect with NAT?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If network works with NAT and no longer works with Bridged-to-Wifi, then your new Mac has the issue that Socratis mentioned about Bridging to Wifi that the old Mac didn't have.

FWIW the new Mac says "en0 Wifi wireless" and the old one says "en1 wifi Airport". Do you have the en1-style wifi on the new Mac? Is there a wired Ethernet port you can tempoarily plug in and try to Bridge to? Do Macs allow you to try to update the wifi adapter drivers? On Windows hosts a driver update sometimes works.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

scottgus1 wrote:then your new Mac has the issue that Socratis mentioned about Bridging to Wifi that the old Mac didn't have.
Can't say that I've seen that before, may necessitate further investigation. Maybe that "(Wireless)" isn't the built-in Airport, but something else, that's why RossW can't connect?
scottgus1 wrote:FWIW the new Mac says "en0 Wifi wireless" and the old one says "en1 wifi Airport"
And this is where RossW "created" a problem, by not specifying the exact Mac model so we would know what we're dealing with... But, I too have a similar setup; my 2011 17" "MacBookPro8,3" has a WiFi, and a Ethernet adapter, and a Thunderbolt port. The Bridged options that I have:
  • en0: Ethernet
  • en1: Wi-Fi (Airport)
  • p2p0
  • en2: Thunderbolt 1
  • bridge0
On my 2015 15" "MacBookPro11,5", I have a WiFi and two Thunderbolt ports, 1 of them has an Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet:
  • en4: Thunderbolt Ethernet
  • en0: Wi-Fi (AirPort)
  • en1: Thunderbolt 1
  • en2: Thunderbolt 2
  • p2p0
  • awdl0
  • bridge0
scottgus1 wrote:Is there a wired Ethernet port you can tempoarily plug in and try to Bridge to?
Not on the new Macs, it was deemed "Too thick of an interface!". :shock:
scottgus1 wrote:Do Macs allow you to try to update the wifi adapter drivers?
Only through the OS update. That's the beauty and the curse of the whole Mac thing... ;)

@RossW
From what you've read so far I need you to 1) identify what's the "Wireless" option, 2) replace the generic "old" and "new" with their actual names. See the Apple logo (top left) » click on in, hold the Opt key » System information. On the left side with the "Hardware" selected, look on the right side:
Model Identifier:	MacBookPro11,5
That's your Mac...
(well technically that's *my* Mac, but you know what I mean...)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RossW

Post by RossW »

These are the details from my three Hosts and two Guests (since I moved the Win7 guest from Old>New MacBook)

New MacBook Pro
===========
MacBookPro15,1 (macOS Mojave, 10.14.3)
Win7 Guest
Bridged Adapter: en0: Wi-Fi (Wireless); en7: USB Ethernet(?); ap1; p2p0; awdl0; en1: Thunderbolt 1; en2: Thunderbolt 2; en3: Thunderbolt 3; en4: Thunderbolt 4; bridge0

Old MacBook Pro
===========
MacBookPro9,1
Win7 Guest
Bridged Adapter: en1: Wi-Fi (AirPort); en2: Thunderbolt 1; en0: Ethernet; p2p0; awdl0; bridge0

iMac
====
iMac15,1
WIn10 Guest
Bridged Adapter: en0: Ethernet; en1: Wi-Fi (AirPort); en2: Thunderbolt 1; en3: Thunderbolt 2; p2p0; awdl0; bridge0

Epson installer finds wireless printer on network **only** if use "Bridged Adapter", NOT with "NAT". I had changed the guest on my iMac to "NAT" thinking that was the preferred setting, and then found I couldn't print. Uninstalled the printer and tried to re-install but it couldn't find it until I changed back to "Bridged Adapter" the iMac is connected via Ethernet cable to my router, while the MacBooks use wifi (as does the printer)
Last edited by RossW on 20. Apr 2019, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

RossW wrote:Bridged Adapter: en0: Wi-Fi (Wireless); en7: USB Ethernet(?); ap1; p2p0; awdl0; en1: Thunderbolt 1; en2: Thunderbolt 2; en3: Thunderbolt 3; en4: Thunderbolt 4; bridge0
Can you try with that?
RossW

Post by RossW »

Same result, unfortunately.
Win7 Network Issue 4.png
Win7 Network Issue 4.png (97.23 KiB) Viewed 8996 times
Last edited by socratis on 21. Apr 2019, 07:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
RossW

Post by RossW »

• I tried using a different Adapter Type, but no luck (currently set to Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM))
  • Tried toggling off then on the "Connect Network Adapter" button on the bottom-right of the VM window - no luck either, although what's weird is that icon shows "IP: 169.254.141.135" and "Cable: Connected". Windows says "Unidentified network; no network access"
  • If I switch to Adapter=NAT, I get internet access but it can't see my wireless printer (Also, the VM network icon shows a more typical IP of 10.0.2.15)
EDIT: Although NAT didn't work at first, I was just able to print out a test page with the printer.
RossW

Post by RossW »

Reviewing my previous posts, I see that last year when I got the wireless printer I had a problem with the current Network Adapter config (NAT?) and changed it to Bridged in order to install and use it from the guest VM:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86993

And if I change my Win10 VM on my iMac host to NAT I can't se the wireless printer, but for some reason it seems to be working now on the new MacBook Pro (although it wasn't previously).
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

RossW wrote:And if I change my Win10 VM on my iMac host to NAT I can't se the wireless printer
I didn't say that you're going to see the printer, I said to get the printer's IP and connect to that IP. Huge difference!

When you're on NAT mode, you are *not* on the same network as the rest of the computers/printer/other. You're on a 10.0.2.x network as a VM, the rest are on a 19.168.x.x (for example) network; your "printer discovery" software won't go beyond the 10.0.2.x network.

You need to find the 192.168.x.y IP of the printer and then connect specifically to that. Directly.

PS. I don't really need to see the same picture again and again from the Windows Network Center. Pretty as it may be, it provides 0 (zero) actual information about the whole setup. If you want to give me some diagnostics, post the output of "ipconfig -a" and/or the results of key "ping" results.